How much Disability Allowance do you get if your child is ADHD?

TES Behaviour - Forum

Join the TES Behaviour Group and get advice on how to deal with your behaviour and classroom management problems. We’ve got the TES Behaviour adviser Tom Bennett on hand to answer your questions.

Members 4547 Total Posts 12750
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

How much Disability Allowance do you get if your child is ADHD?

I wanted to know if it is a fixed amount or if it is on a sliding scale.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    it all depends how much care they need, not all children get it, it depends on if they can manage themselves or...

All those professionals who are involved in caring for the child have to fill in forms. We often have forms to fill in for children who actually are able to manage there own personal needs so they do not need a carer 24hrs.
    Posted
    DLA works like this - there are 3 levels of the care component - low,middle and high. To qualify for the low rate your child must require care that exceeds that of the average child of his age, for a period of time throughout the day. For middle rate they must exceed the level of care for an average child of their age during the day or during the night. For high it is the same but they must need care day and night. There is also the mobility component - there are 2 rates to this low and high. To get low rate your child must require supervision outside because it represents a danger to them not to have. To get high, your child must have severe learning difficulties or be severely physically disabled (bilateral amputation)and unable to walk anything other than a very short distance.

It sounds straight forward but it's not as straight forward as it seems. It takes in: getting around outdoors; requiring supervision outdoors; communication difficulties; learning difficulties; behavioural and emotional difficulties, eatingdifficulties; toileting difficulties; sleeping difficulties; medical problems and so on and so on.

For example, my daughter has Aspergers - she does present with many difficulties in caring for herself. She also has a genetic connective tissue disorder, which restricts her mobility - she gets middle rate care and low rate mobility - that's about £220 per month. The evidence we had to provide was phenomenal.

We have spent it on things like - sloping desk top for school; desk top writer; footwear (as she requires footwear that tends to be more expensive), various learning aids and everyday things.

I not sure of how well kids with ADHD qualify, as I know a lot of AS kids have been turned down recently. If I can be of further help let me know.
    Posted
    Depends on the circumstances! If you don't at first get it keep trying, when my friend when to tribunal they were shocked that she hadn't been awarded it for her son with ADHD and immediately told the family they were awarding at least the lowest care one, then discussed it briefly and awarded the middle tier.

The people responsible live in a parallel universe I think, evidently it is perfectly normal to have all cabinets in a kitchen as locking for a 9yr old boy - if it was surely all kitchens would come with locks as standard! That was one of their reasons for turning down the case initally!
    Posted
    Get advice from several people and talk through each section several times - you need to get something in as many boxes as possible. Also don't exaggerate but don't "make the best of it" either, we try so hard to be positive and make light of difficulties that it can be hard to be more honest. Good luck.
    Posted
    I was sent this link by a friend ~ "Free Guides to Claiming DLA" ~ I understand that it is really useful, but am still trying to pluck up the courage (or admit defeat?!) & apply myself.

I didn't even realise you could claim for ADHD! (Going to mention it to our Senco tomorrow ~ I bet there are many parents who have no idea)

Let us know how it goes! All the best
    Posted
    I am not thinking of applying for a disability allowance, I was just wondering what a crap parent in our school whose child has ADHD was getting so upset about when it was suggested to her that actually her child did not have ADHD and in fact it was her shìt parenting.

I'm still not really clear on how much money it is that she is at stake to lose and I know this is her only concern.
    Posted
    Why would she be at stake of loosing it if her child has been diagnosed.

On the contrary she could make a great deal more money if she wished by taking you to court.
    This happened to a parent who had a child with autism.
    Said person made the comment that the child had EBD and not Autsim and parent took them to court.
    Posted
    I went to a great deal of bother replying to your post and yet I think I knew it was something like this.

Not all parents ho get DLA are scroungers - my child's DLA is well and truly spent on her needs and it makes it easier to do that. I don't work - partly because of her disability - and it makes life for us easier
    Posted
    I wasn't saying that all parents are scroungers by any means doglover so there is no need to take offence. I know that for many children on the autistic spectrum there are parents who have to care nearly full time for them and I don't think they are undeserving at all. I was in no way putting all parents in the same category.

However, you must also appreciate that there are some parents out there who are crap, and who are desperate for any money going. These parents, unlike you and other well-deserving parents, would never dream of spending the money on anything to help their disabled child, it would be for themselves.

This particular family has a child who has been diagnosed at some point with ADHD, but who has visited other doctors as well who say he does not and it is the parenting. They asked the school (primary, not ours) for a reassessment and the school said it saw no signs of ADHD but that the parents had no boundaries in place and the kids basically brought themselves up. This led to the mother (alcoholic and not working) to have a bit of a coronary thinking that her DLA money was going to stop, and I was wondering how much was at stake.
    Posted
    I fully accept what you are saying, but could you not have just asked that without having me waste my time giving you details.

It's people like those you are describing who make people like me feel uncomfortable about receiving DLA, and yet it makes such a difference to what we can and cannot afford to do.

It does gall me that people like us have had to drop one fairly substantial wage, to stay at home (well AS is not the only reason I am at home), and struggle by with one wage - and others are at home with many of the things we don't have.

We don't have SKY TV, I have a pay as you go mobile and most of the time it takes incoming calls only - I have been using the same £10 since December.OHs mobile is paid for by work. We can't afford holidays and we don't have all the latest games systems. We do run 2 cars because it is essential, and although the kids are always well clothed and "toyed", OH and I never go out, spend a minimum on clothes and don't drink or smoke.

I know what you are saying - but I would willingly have told you the amounts either way;).
    Posted
    I wasn't intending on covering anything up when I asked the question - sorry if you felt misled.
    Posted
    "This particular family has a child who has been diagnosed at some point with ADHD, but who has visited other doctors as well who say he does not and it is the parenting. They asked the school (primary, not ours) for a reassessment and the school said it saw no signs of ADHD but that the parents had no boundaries in place and the kids basically brought themselves up. This led to the mother (alcoholic and not working) to have a bit of a coronary thinking that her DLA money was going to stop, and I was wondering how much was at stake."

If that is the case, then the doctors provide the diagnosis anyway?

I'm confused why the school thinks they are experts in medicine.

The doctors will routinely ask for assessment of the child (so they can monitor progress) that does not mean that they doubt the diagnosis
    Posted
    Schools aren't medical experts - that's why we have hospitals.

However, when I had a parent in due to the unacceptable behaviour of her child over a considerable period of time, she told me that he had to be naughty or her money would stop.

And my conclusion was?
    Posted
    I have never known a Connor's questionnaire to be sent off which has NOT resulted in a diagnosis of ADHD, and I think we all know that not every diagnosis is accurate.

Some doctors have said it is not ADHD that this child has, it is purely poor parenting and lack of boundaries. It was not the school who diagnosed, but they were asked their opinion, as professional people who spent all day with the child, and they gave it.

I was just wondering if it turned out he did not have ADHD how much money his family would lose.
    Posted
    It has always seemed to me that the majority of the behaviours listed on the Connor's questionnaire are fairly typical toddler behaviours!
    Posted
    yes but what if that child is 14 and not a toddler?

The clinic will send the questionnaire out to schools to judge if the school is having problems.
    School is not the only avenue they explore. They are just asking what the school have noticed with regard to the childs condition.

There may indeed be parenting issues which will not help a child with ADHD but that doesn't mean the child doesn't have it!

Posted
    And it works the other way round too - a child who does not have ADHD may show some symptoms as a result of having no boundaries at home.

There is no scientific diagnosis based on an imbalance of chemicals in the brain for ADHD. Apart from the parent and school questionnaires and a consultation with the child, how else is it diagnosed? What other avenues are explored?

And there are plenty of 14 year olds who display toddler-like behaviours at my school - throwing/tantrums/refusing to move/fidgety/overly aggressive/parroting teachers etc.
    Posted
    Brave doctor to challenge anothers diagnosis.

Doctors sharing this info with school that they thought it was bad parenting?
    Really, or is that just gossip?
    How do you know this?

Posted
    the headteacher of the primary school told me before he moved into my year group.
    Posted