ParkingEye...Are their fines enforceable?!

TES Behaviour - Forum

Join the TES Behaviour Group and get advice on how to deal with your behaviour and classroom management problems. We’ve got the TES Behaviour adviser Tom Bennett on hand to answer your questions.

Members 4401 Total Posts 12569

ParkingEye...Are their fines enforceable?!

Have just got a fifty pound fine which will go up to eighty if l don't pay in the next few days, but a friend has said not to pay as they are not enforceable, but not sure this is a good idea! Any advice ?thanks
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

If this were a council parking fine then there is no leeway and you should pay.

Parking eye sounds like a private firm.  If you search moneysavingsexpert for this situation they will advise that you don't pay.   The incidences of the parking company actually taking anyone to court can be counted on one hand.

I had a similar ticket problem (partially displayed ticket)....I called citizen's advice who gave me completely different advice to all that on the internet and told me to pay.

Looking at the info online, you do enter into a loose contract by parking on their land, but they cannot compel you to pay their fine.

They try scare tactics to make you pay.  Their tickets look like real ones.  They say the cost will rise if you don't pay.  They will contact the DVLA and pay for your details so they can post you their demands. 

If you are brave enough, then keep all their letters and ignore them.  I received a ticket, a reminder, a 'final' demand, a solicitors letter, a solicitor's reminder (including a lovely threat of the amount I may be charged if it went to court and how it could affect my credit rating) and then a final solicitors warning. 

Then nothing. 

They don't follow through.  Even if they did take you to court they are only allowed to seek to cover the loss of their earnings - i.e. the cost of the ticket.

Posted
    Thanks Waterfin...not sure l will be able to wait out that long and receive demanding letters. l have looked at MSE and they seem to have the same advice,but think l'll just end up worrying. But really annoying if they're not really lawful. lt is not a council car park.
    Posted

Be brave, Apprentice. I had a minor heart attack every time a new envelope dropped through my letter box Tongue Tied but my partner was adamant I shouldn't pay and he (and my friend who'd had the same happen) were right and eventually the letters stop and it all goes away.

Posted