How much notice do I legally have to give to leave teaching?

TES Career clinic - Forum

The Career clinic is now closed. Please visit the Jobseekers forum http://community.tes.co.uk/tes_jobseekers/f/77.aspx for advice from TheoGriff but remember to include "Dear Theo" in the subject.

Members 2131 Total Posts 6391

How much notice do I legally have to give to leave teaching?

As a full time Head of department - I know I should give half a term, but legally is it not 4 weeks?  Can I leave and just not get paid for those weeks?  Can't find the conditions of service document anywhere.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

You need to resign by end Oct to leave Dec 31st; end Feb to leave by end April; end July to leave end August.

That's the three dates you need to resign by/can leave by as per your conditions document.

Posted

You could just leave, what are they going to do if your not going back into teaching and you dont get paid. i think your being honest, some people would go off on the sick and then hand in their notice.

Posted

amidowner

As a full time Head of department - I know I should give half a term, but legally is it not 4 weeks?  Can I leave and just not get paid for those weeks?  Can't find the conditions of service document anywhere.

Under what are known as the Burgundy book arrangements, the resignation dates are fixed for teachers as 31st October, 30th April and 31st May with an extra month required for head teachers. This allows for transfers and retirements without concern about holidays that are effectively fixed for teachers. So, unless you have a different type of contract it will not be four weeks. This information is not in the Pay and Conditions Document and I cannot find it on the DCSF web site. You may find it in your contract of employment you were given when you started work in your present school. Although the independent sector generally follows the same pattern, I guess they don’t need to. I think all Academies currently do adhere to these arrangements. In certain circumstances heads and governors will allow teachers to leave before the due date, but early leavers may prejudice their paid holidays.

Posted