Need ideas for a KS2 Topic called BOOKWORMS

TES Creative curriculum - Forum

If you’ve got any questions about implementing the creative curriculum then join the TES Creative Curriculum Group.

Members 839 Total Posts 906

Need ideas for a KS2 Topic called BOOKWORMS

Hi,

Need a bit of help from all you wonderful folks out there. I'm teaching Year and we've adopted a creative curriculum a our school. The first two termly topics were easy enough - GRAND DESIGNS and RAGING RIVERS, but the summer term topic is causing me a mental block. It's called BOOKWORMS.

Somehow I'm supposed to fill the next seven weeks with History, Geography, DT, Art, ICT, Literacy, Music, etc that links to the topic heading Bookworms. Before we broke up, I got my kids to make an illustrated rhyming book for the Year 1 class, and we did some basic history/geography work about  where and how paper is made, and why recycling is becoming more and more important. But that's all I can think of.... I think I must be mentally drained after SATs!!!!

Anyone able to think of anything else I could do?

Just send in a short sentence or two with activity suggestions, mini-topics, lesson ideas, etc. PLEAAAAAASSSSEEEE!!

Thanks in advance.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

famous authors

rainforests and conservation

book characters

writing a story on a given theme to be made into a 'book' complete with illustrations, blurb, front cover and author info

Lots of reading, speaking and listening

drama activities linked to a spesific author (Roald Dahl always good...or Janet and alan Ahlberg)

trip to the library (maybe?)

book swap (children bring a book in and they get to read each others favourite books for a day)

Dress up as characters

Character descriptions

authors around the world

books in the past...or famous authors from the past (could look at Anne Frank?)

could do a mini project in maths about how much it costs to print books in different quantities and work out how much books should be sold for, and how much profit would be made

...Hope this helps

doodles

Posted

This sounds like the Chris Quigley units - our chn actually made books including making their own paper! Also made some links with the library and got their books displayed which included advertising them etc.

Posted
    Although I have a lot of ideas for the unit "bookworms" like others on this forum, I'm having an absolute nightmare actually trying to follow the Chris Quigley scheme and using the objectives from his book and trying to incorporate all of the bookworm skills. I have a small Year 3 class, and am spreading the unit out over 2half terms (so will run from sept-dec), but I simply find that it will be impossible for us to conduct all the research that is necessary to find out about the history of the local area, then investigate types of paper/cheapest option etc, and then produce the book and research how to market it etc.. I had brainstormed the unit without the objectives infront of me, and come up with lots of ideas for lessons, but then found that I wasn't able to cover all the objectives and had missed out some key skills. If I have to cover everything Chris Quigley says then I feel that my lessons won't have a nice flow to them and that we will have to rush over some aspects to merely fit everything in. Maybe it's just me who is having this issue, but if anyone has any planning I could look at for how they've done it, or have info on how I could approach the unit in a different way, I would appreciate it immensely. thanks
    Posted

Unfortunately I have no ideas and can only sympathise. I'm an NQT and also have a year 3 class. Our school is using Chris Quigley for the first time. Last half term I used Roald Dahl texts as the basis for literacy, art and DT. I taught changes to the local environment in geography using a recent controversial housing development close to the school. I attempted to introdce the children to the black and white picture as directed by senior staff but found the children struggled to derive anything meaningful despite prompts. I'm really struggling to understand how to use the scheme and would also be greatful for any help out there. Thank you.

*Also any suggestions as to how to make paper would be immensely appreciated Smile

Posted

Paper making:

Tear up lots of old paper into approx. the size of big stamps.  You can use things like egg cartons too, but steer away from newspaper, unless you want a grey mulch!

Soak these in water overnight.

You need an old food blender - blend the paper into a smooth pulp, then put the pulp into a big plastic box half filled with water (a big plastic storage box with a lid is best)

The only other equipment you need are some small wooden frames (old picture frames are good) and some netting (bought cheaply, or old net curtains?).  The netting needs stretching tightly across each frame with a staple gun.

Make sure the paper pulp is suspended in the water and hasn't sunk to the bottom (so give it a stir)!  Submerge the frame, drag through the water and on pulling it up to the surface allow all the water to drain.  The pulp should have collected as a sheet over the net's surface.

Turn the frame face down onto a J-cloth on the table.  Rub the back of the net with a sponge, removing excess water, but also to transfer the paper pulp sheet onto the J-cloth.  Your sheet of paper should stick to the cloth and just allow it to dry.  You can hang the cloth up after a while and then peel the paper off when it's dry.

A bit messy, but a lot of fun!

Posted