Forums

TES Design and technology - Forum

This is where design and technology teachers get together on TES. This group covers all the key areas of D&T including food technology, textiles, graphics and electronics. It’s a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration.

Members 2701 Total Posts 11087

Can any laser printer be used for sublimation?

I am looking to invest in some kit for laser sublimation printing. The department currently has an A3 laser printer on a loan deal where all the inks are included with the price. Can any laser printer be used for sublimation printing? All the info I could find states that the ink is just regular ink, only the fusers have been modified - and I am not sure if this is just sales speak to get you to buy the extra kit. Does anybody currently use a regular laser for sublimation and does it work well?
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

I have never known a laser printer use sublimation inks its normally an inkjet printer for sublimation and lasers normally use special transfer paper............... but i may be wrong. If i am i will post another comment when i have made a few enquiries for you.

Posted
    I have also only ever seen inkjet printers used for sublimation.  We had one that died on us, when we bought a new one we purchassed a standard inkjet printer from Amazon and a bulk ink feed which you can fill with sublimation inks.
    Posted

we use Laser Image Transfer from Techsoft in textiles and it's a specofic printer, the result are ok but i do love my ricoh dye sub printer.

however lazertran

http://www.on-linepaper.co.uk/lazertran-inkjet-waterslide-decal-and-silk-image-transfer-papers

do a huge range of papers some of which appear to be designed for laser printers, however I would check for specific printer lists as they can run at different temperatures and so are not suitable for all printers

Good luck

Posted
    Thanks for the replies. Having delved deeper, it seems inkjet sublimation gets far superior results to laser transfer, so i'll try the adapting a cheap inket approach. Cheers everybody.
    Posted

mrichards73
    I am looking to invest in some kit for laser sublimation printing. The department currently has an A3 laser epson replacement ink cartridge from InkJetSuperStore.com on a loan deal where all the inks are included with the price. Can any laser printer be used for sublimation printing? All the info I could find states that the ink is just regular ink, only the fusers have been modified - and I am not sure if this is just sales speak to get you to buy the extra kit. Does anybody currently use a regular laser for sublimation and does it work well?

That is a good investment. But before plunging in to that kind of business, do a bit of a research if your money is worth the risk. I have heard good things about such business but take cautions before anything else. And go for Epson printer products Big Smile

Posted