KS3/4 drama schemes of work

TES Drama and performing arts - Forum

This is where drama, performing arts and dance teachers get together on TES. This group is a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 2100 Total Posts 10204

KS3/4 drama schemes of work

Hi. I have just been asked to start teaching drama to ks3 (yr 8 initially). We have previously not done drama at school so currently have no schemes of work or resources. Does anyone know where I can find any good ones? Also I have been asked to set up a GCSE drama program for next year. I have looked at EdExcel, AQA and OCR GCSE drama courses and my initial preference would be for the OCR one, but can anyone currently teaching these recommend one or the other please? Thanks Paul
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Your knight in shining armour is here.

Mail me for any advice.

Clive

Posted

They all have their merits - it depends on the calibre of your students. I currently do OCR Expressive Arts and really like delivering it

Posted
    Do look at lots of examples of what other schools are doing - this tends to vary from place to place greatly. Do think about which 'hook' to hang the drama curriculum hat on - do you want to tag it to English where it exists national curriculum wise, or do you want to pull away and go performing arts? Once these things are decided, start with a list of skills you specifically wish to impart upon your students - then move to consider how you will assess those skills - then identify topics/ themes/ texts/ mediums through which those skills can be imparted. When you're at the last stage, there is lots of stuff out there with regards units or schemes to use, starting with the resources section of this website.
    Posted
    Are you the only one teaching it? You will need to consider what you and your colleagues will be comfortable with in a classroom - demonstrating etc and take that into account when requesting for training. As someone in a very similar situation a few years ago I would agree with contacting a few schools around your area, see what they are doing. Colleagues in other schools can be very helpful, particularly to newbies. I have to say I have also found Resources4Drama very useful recently when re-jigging the schemes!
    Posted