Strategies, tutorial and activities for teaching EAL pupils.

TES EAL - Forum

For advice on how you can enable every child to fulfil their potential join the TES English as an Additional Language Group. You’ll find advice on intervention, raising attainment, inclusion and general tips on working effectively with EAL pupils.

Members 330 Total Posts 366

Strategies, tutorial and activities for teaching EAL pupils.

Do please explore these sites if you need help with EAL students in your classroom. For strategies in content/subject areas, please go to the separate links in this URL for discrete activities you could try. http://www.education.vic.gov.au/studentlearning/teachingresources/esl/teachstrat.htm If you're looking to read up on other strategies, theory, and tips, go to this address: http://www.everythingesl.net/inservices/ If you have time, please read this tutorial which gives an overview of the ESL learner, the classroom and teaching and learning. http://www.teach-nology.com/tutorials/teaching/esl/ I've been an EAL teacher for 10 years now and have extended my role into an exciting area - EAL/ESL team teaching with subject teachers. Please e-mail me if you need any help and I'll try my best.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

As a relatively new EAL coordinator in a new school, these will be very useful,

Thanks!!

Posted
    Hello, I was wondering if you would be able to help me. I have a Malayalam speaking child in my year1 class and I want to put some classroom signs up in his language to help him - do you know any websites that do this? He struggles socially so any games that you think would work well would be helpful also. Thanks in advance!
    Posted

That's really interesting.  Thanks for posting those websites up.  Could you tell me what assessment secondary schools use for assessing EAL pupils?  I have looked up the NALDIC assessment criteria for Key Stage 1 and 2 and have looked up the assessment criteria on one of the websites you have given (in Australia).  Is there anything standardised yet in English secondary schools or does it vary?  It seems that this is still very much a developing area.  Can you help at all?

Thank you 

Hannah 

Posted

hannahmgw

I have looked up the NALDIC assessment criteria for Key Stage 1 and 2 and have looked up the assessment criteria on one of the websites you have given (in Australia).  Is there anything standardised yet in English secondary schools or does it vary? 

I'd be very interested to hear your views about the NALDIC descriptors. I'm still not sure about them. To me, they seem really impractical - a lot of the descriptors are worded in comparative terms, like they can do more of what they did at the previous level or they make mistakes "typical" of an EAL learner, which are too vague to assess with. I want to try and use them, so maybe I need to give them a second go.

The only official standardized stuff I'm aware of in the UK is the shockingly awful Extended Scale, an attempt to create descriptors below Level 1 English. What it totally misses is the fact that much of the English curriculum is about literacy, but EAL children need to be assessed against language as well.

Thanks also to the OP or the links! 

Posted