Forums

TES Early Years - Forum

Join hundreds of early years practitioners in the TES Early Years group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 9027 Total Posts 54285

Rainbow Fish activities

I'm going to do a Rainbow Fish topic in the 1st week in y1. Here are some of my ideas:

write their good qualities on scales - to stick onto big rainbow fish

design a new pattern

fish for sounds - make CVC words

fish for numbers - add them together

paint a fish & add a silver scale

write what he could/should do?

retell the story in a comic strip

write how he feels onto a fish shape

Any others would be appreciated!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

I'm doing Rainbow fish in my first full week, and trawled through the resources on and saved to a folder. If you want to avoid going through the resources, I would gladly email you them if you post your address. THere's some god maths games and pictures for colouring plus whiteboard version of the story.

x Char.

Posted

have just done that too so will prob be ok now! (should prob have done that 1st!) thank you x

Posted

Sparklebox has a Rainbow Fish pack  if you haven't already seen it.

We had an underwater role-play area (piece of blue curtain hanging up, some Ikea finger puppets for fish, a few pebbles, waterweed etc)

You could make an outdoor "river" too just with chalk, or more elaborate if there's time.

PSE idea - at the start of the day you give someone the Special Silver Scale, they then have to give it to someone else who is helpful/kind to them, who then gives it to someone else etc, stop every now and then to talk about this (and make sure whoever has it hasn't forgotten!) - I didn't think this would work with my Y1s, I thought whoever had it would keep it, but they did it really well.

Sorry can't think of any more - still have Holiday Brain!

Posted

I love this idea - thanks!!

Posted

Hi,

im a teacher trainee and i just wanted to ask what science activities and concepts oculd be taught with using the rainbow fish?

please help!

faiza

Posted

Hi

For science you could do sinking and floating?

I have just done the rainbow fish / sealife with KS1 SEN children working at P levels.

We did 

* sorting sea animals from farm animals

* sensory fish hunt (finding plastic fish/crabs ect in seaweed-spinach, water and sand)

* using fish in maths to look at size (made a fishy picture with big fish swimming at the bottom of our tank and small fish swimming at the top of the tank)

* word matching using the sparklebox key words and pages from the story book.

* making a Rainbow fish picture using different materials for the scales.

Posted

Hi thank you so much- your ideas are wonderful- could they work for a reception class? I have to do an assigment- which is a cross curricular resource box which promotes conceptual learning in both maths and science in a aprticular age group. it has to contain a variety of activities and resources of an investigative nature.

I was thinking of doing the rainbow fish- reading the book and for

math: counting/number- Play a rainbow fish board game= addition and subtraction of fish scales using a number line and ..i cant think of anyother activity invovled with counting?

For science i looked at EYFS documentation and maybe could teach the concept of living things?through:

Investigate objects and materials by using all of their senses as appropriate. Find out about, and identify, some features of living things. Here i could do like your activity- a sensory fish hunt (maybe in a sand box place spinach, water and sand  and plastic fish, crabs, little fish. there activity (practical) could be to identify how they stay alive- what they eat? wehre do they live? how do they stay alive? 

Your idea has really intrigued me- can you think of any idea  in the science activity?

thank you soo much!

Posted

Hi would you be able to email me these resources too! i am a teacher trainee and i have an assignment where i need to produce a cross curricular resource box which promotes math and science concepts! i wanted to do the rainbow fish theme!

my email address is efes@live.co.uk

i would really appreciate it!

Posted

Hello! Do you think you could e-mail me the folder you created for 'Rainbow Fish' ideas - would be great ! Thank you!

Cath.

Posted

please could you e mail me folder

thanks

rach@rich1879.fsnet.co.uk

Posted

Hi Dear,

I would like to have your folder of resources on the rainbow fish. My email address is  kumkumas@yahoo.com.

Thank you

Kumkuma

Posted