Forums

TES Early Years - Forum

Join hundreds of early years practitioners in the TES Early Years group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 9278 Total Posts 54863

EYFS principles and Christmas!!

I reckon we are getting much better at following the children's lead and planning for more child initiated activities. Especially in the creative area....children's individual work is now valued.

But then comes along December 1st!

Back to cutting out 25 stars and 25 angels. Whose turn is it to design THE Christmas card (and I mean which practitioner!!)) and then the thorny issue of the Nativity......

Suddenly children are joining conveyor belts of decoration making etc.....

Ok, so this might be a bit extreme, but you get my drift!

So I invite fellow Early Years Practitioners to share ideas for Christmas activities which allow children to remain calm and creative. (and maybe reduce some of the stress for adults too!)

I appreciate that Christmas is not always given such a focus in all settings, but the principle applies to any celebrations really.

I will offer the first idea! We had an open week where parents could join their children for part/all session to play together. Activites with a Christmas theme were offerered for children, parent and child and just parents. The Nativity and other children's Christmas stories were shared throughout each session, with Nativity costumes available in the role play area.....

so over to you!!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

I dont start the C work til much later than december 1st! usually just the last 2 weeks of school -couldn't cope with drowning in glitter for that long!!:o

Posted

We make 1 card, 1 calendar and 1 decoration. All part of my normal adult directed tasks. Anything else is enhanced provision added to areas.

Posted
    My children always make their own decorations, card and calendar- their ideas are much better than mine!
    Posted

Does anyone know where I can find a 2012 calendar template - you know the ones - with the entire year underneath a blank box for picture/poem etc?  I need a4 landscape.

Thanks

Posted

I think we got our template from mircrosoft word or publisher?

Posted

I downloaded one off here recently - look in resources or look back in Forums. I can't remember who put it on.

toyser

Does anyone know where I can find a 2012 calendar template - you know the ones - with the entire year underneath a blank box for picture/poem etc?  I need a4 landscape.

Thanks

Posted

Hi

I found one eventually, thanks - it prints off with a grey box - but copied over that.  Link is here if anyone else needs it.

http://www.apollostemplates.com/pdf-templates/calendar-templates/Calendar_year_2012.pdf

Posted

giggles_88

I think we got our template from mircrosoft word or publisher?

Someone usually uploads one and posts the link in the primary forum - not sure it's popped up yet this year though.

Posted
    As others have said don't start too early other tips: (again most shared by others

1. Have only a few select adult led activities- follow interests e.g. in what particular adult led activities.

2. Continue to focus on the child's needs and interests building on them where appropriate.

3. Supplement continuos provision with enhanced provision relating to christmas e.g. christmas related dressing up, supplemental collage materials, decorating tree, nativity, wrapping station, snow sensory play etc. and be creative this could even be your card making/ decoration making activities (I usually have baskets with which children can select to do more structured activities- see my blog for last years "not school" ones look under the christmas section www.alljoinin.blogspot.com for some ideas)

4. Christmas is a perfect time to incorperate children's shematic interests into enhanced provision planning e.g. enclosure -wrapping presents, transportation- moving presents in sleigh (wheelbarrow) connecting- making paper chains.

5. Prepare children for any changes/ off routine things- a visual timetable can be very useful for this.

6. If you put the above into place, there is no harm in having "special days" to go off routine to do christmas stuff within a free flow system.

7. Let the children be individuals, consider do you really need uniform cards, would the children prefer to create their own designs or could you have several options and allow children to go off piste too.

8. Do not go through conveyer belt activity structure simply "attempt" to ensure everyone has a card, a calendar and a presents- don't stress about it!! 9.Remember it's OK not to only sing Christmas songs, have picture song choice cars (or objects) for the christmas songs you are practicing and add some more options so children can choose comforting familiar songs.

10. REMEMBER Chistmas is supposed to be a joyous occasion, whatever your religious views I'm sure you feel that it should be a time of celebration, love and giving. So therefore take a deep breath celebrate the achievements of your little charges (if that is dropping the baby Jesus on their head), give them your time to engage properly with you rather than stressing about post it notes, and share in their joy! It doesn't matter if the Chrismas play goes wrong thier parents are only interested in their little darling and if they do something funny thier parents will love it even more!!

Happy Christmas

ps. ive added a calendar "2012 calendar 1 page"

Posted