Forums

TES Early Years - Forum

Join hundreds of early years practitioners in the TES Early Years group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 9296 Total Posts 54915

APP in Foundation Stage

Help and guidance needed!!   I am the FS co ordinator in a large city school and we have recently been told we have to start using APP's for children achieving 8's on the profile! I would be interested to hear if others are doing this, how it works, how the two very different documents 'link together', although i fail to see how they can. I am becoming very negative about this and hope that someone can explain to me if it can work and if it does, what are the benifits of it!!?? thanks alot

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

I thought the two documents weren't meant to link together? Surely the FS profile is a form of APP in itself? I am confused as to why you would need to do both?! Sorry thats no help, just wanted to comment!

Posted

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/153446

APP reading, writing and mathematics cover Key Stages 1 to 3. The EYFSP is the statutory assessment for children at the end of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). The principles and practices of the two approaches are similar and consistent. Both assessments focus on practitioners/teachers reviewing a range of evidence of children's knowledge, skills and understanding in a variety of contexts in relation to nationally agreed criteria. The judgements they make enable teachers to identify the appropriate next steps in children's learning.

There are no direct equivalences between EYFSP scale points and APP guidelines but there will inevitably be overlaps as children move from the EYFS into Year 1. Teachers and practitioners should use their professional judgement to ensure that they support each child's learning and development using the EYFSP and APP.

Posted

Having worked in year one for the past three years I can tell you that I would definitely find it useful to be given APP for the higher ability children coming into my class.

I guess the main benefits would be that it will give Y1 teachers a better idea about the childsren's abilities when they make the transition, because they will have a NC score rather than FSP score which is harder to 'translate' and  it will also give the school a more measurable picture of the children's progress. It drives me crazy to be given FSP levels at the start of the year with some crazy formula which then tells me what NC this equates to as I think that the two are not always compatable.

We actually have a number of children who are still working below national curriculum, though not SEN and we have to 'continue' the FSP for these children until they are ready for APP. Therefore I do understand the difficulties of working with two different documents but I do see it as an important part of differentiation.

Posted

If a child is working at NC levels the reception teacher would assess them at those levels(using APP if the school uses that method)

I wouldn't expect children to be working at profile point 8 or 9 until the summer term and then only very able children

Posted

Msz
    I wouldn't expect children to be working at profile point 8 or 9 until the summer term and then only very able children

Quite.  Clockrow, out of interest, do you have any children on point 8 or 9 at the moment?

Posted

Not onlyis APP not appropriate in EYFS it is not statutory in KS1 and KS2 it is guidance only!

Posted

I would have thought that it is always good practice for a Year One teacher to settle in the new children after the summer break and then conduct some baseline assessments for the beginning of Year One.

Children can regress in their knowledge and skills after a long break, and any teacher should surely want to get his or her own handle on where the children are to know how best to plan, and from where, and to then measure progress over a period of time.

I would have thought that this is one reason why too much ongoing formal and detailed assessment and evidencing during the Foundation Stage when children change and grow so rapidly is a bit pointless.

Posted