Handa's surprise - ideas please!!

TES Early Years - Forum

Join hundreds of early years practitioners in the TES Early Years group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 9284 Total Posts 54876

Handa's surprise - ideas please!!

Hello,

I'm covering Handa's Surprise over the next couple of weeks in reception and wondered if any of you have some good ideas for me.

Thanks in advance XXX
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Try typing in Handa's Surprise to search in the primary and early years forums. You will find several threads there.

It's a fabulous book - lots of wonderful follow-up.

Hope you and the children enjoy it.
    Posted
    We have made fruit smoothies, fruit tasting, role play is a green grocers (healty, Food topic), observational drawing of the fruit mentioned in story.
    Posted
    i'm sure you've seen this - but good ol' sparkle has some stuff http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/cll/clldon/sb245.html
    Posted
    Hi

I can't remember where I found these online but here you are:

Curriculum objectives:
    Text Level
    To use knowledge of familiar texts to re-tel/re-enact to others, recounting the main points in correct sequence
    Word Level
    Identifying initial and dominant phonemes in words
    Lesson length:

Learning outcomes
    To be able to re-tell story, sequencing events correctly To identify initial and dominant phonemes in words.

Resources needed
    Handas Surprise (big book), props for story re-enactment, paper and colouring pencils for children to make books, paper plates and collage materials for animal masks, photocopied sheet showing four scenes from book, scissors, paper and paints

Lesson summary
    Plenary
    If time allows, re-enact story again, using the animal masks made by the children - extend the story by discussing what the animal might have done after they took the fruit.
    Shared Reading/Writing
    Re-enact the story of Handas Surprise - provide as many props as possible, for example, basket with fruits and dressing up clothes. Ask children to play the parts of various animals, others can help to retell the story - you may wish to have a child checking that the sequence of events is correct.
    Shared Sentence/ Word work
    Ask the children which fruit they would have chosen from the basket - can they help you to identify the sounds in the word and then find the word in the book? Challenge them to listen for as many sounds as possible before finding the word.
    Guided Group Tasks
    Making My Favourite Fruit book - label fruits
    Making masks of the animals in the story
    Independent Activities
    Sequencing pictures from story - cut out and order pictures, then use them to re-tell story
    Painting pictures of Handas journey

Extension activities
    Draw a picture of what might have happened after Handa arrived at Akeyos village - write a sentence to accompany picture

ICT opportunities
    Colour Magic - draw pictures of favourite fruit and type in labels

Assessment cues
    Can the children say what happened next in the story?
    Can the children initial and dominant phonemes in words
    Posted
    Curriculum objectives:
    Text Level
    To be aware of story structures
    Word Level
    To develop knowledge of grapheme/phoneme correspondences, through hearing and identifying initial sounds in words. To make up alliterative phrases
    Lesson length:

Learning outcomes
    To identify initial sounds in words and match to corresponding letter. To make up alliterative phrases.

Resources needed
    Handas Surprise (Big book), write and wipe board, Animals and letter cards, card and colouring pencils, Handas surprise books, tracing paper.

Lesson summary
    Plenary
    Play I-spy, using a set of toy animals
    Shared Reading/Writing
    Discuss the book cover - focusing on the setting of the story and the title. What is a surprise? What might the surprise be in this book? Look through book, discussing the story told by the pictures.
    Identify the initial sounds of the animals in the book. Can the children find the correct letter on the board and think of a name for the animal that begins with the same letter - eg. Martha Monkey, Oliver Ostrich.
    Guided Group Tasks
    Look at a selection of animals - can the children say what sound the animals begin with and match them to the correct letter. Make up names for the animals beginning with the same initial sounds.
    Draw/colour pictures of the animals in the story - ask the children to help you write their names - play matching game with resulting pictures/words

Extension activities
    Children have a go at writing the names of the animals in the book, using their knowledge of grapheme/phoneme correspondences.

ICT opportunities
    Alphapics - identifying initial sounds

Assessment cues
    Can the children identify the initial sounds of words and find the corresponding letter?
    Posted
    Curriculum objectives:
    Text Level
    To develop awareness of story structures
    Word Level
    Reading letters that represent the sounds b, g, o, m, p, a, t.
    Lesson length:

Learning outcomes
    To use knowledge of letters to match words to pictures. To understand that pictures and words in a book can tell different stories.

Resources needed
    Handas Surprise (big book), pictures of animals and fruit in story, word cards for fruit and animals, playdough

Lesson summary
    Plenary
    Children help to read word cards for animals/fruits - can they find the corresponding animal/fruit picture?
    Shared Reading/Writing
    Read the book, encouraging the children to join in. Discuss how the story told by the words is different from the pictures and how this builds up to the conclusion of the story.
    Show the children the pictures of the animals in the story - can they match the animals to the fruit they took? Using their phonic knowledge, can the children find the correct word card for the fruit - by sounding out the first few letters?
    Guided Group Tasks
    Matching game - finding pairs of animals/fruit and corresponding word cards

Independent Activities
    Playdough - making animals and fruit from the story
    Making a map of Handas journey

Extension activities
    Write the names of animals and fruit on the map of Handas journey

ICT opportunities
    Colour Magic - draw a picture of the animals in the story

Assessment cues
    Can the children match the animals to the correct fruit cards/names? (I used Sparklebox pictures :))

Posted
    Try the resource bank, might have something you are looking for

http://www.tes.co.uk/resources/Resource.aspx?resourceId=2938

;-)

Posted
    hi i covered this last week i pretended the children had been sent fruit from handa and tasted the friut. the children wrote a letter back to her. they realy enjoyed this. we also discussed the importance of a girf and what the children would give handa. if you look on previos links from tes i found a great site with masks to print. the children loved role laying the story.
    hope this helps
    Posted
    hi - wondered what site it was that you downloaded the masks from please! will save me loadz of work if you can tell me!! thanks
    Posted
    in the search bos type in handa's surprise then scroll down looking for masks

5 | Posted by: kiki18 at 16 Nov 2006 18:04

There are some printable masks for Handa's Surprise at http://crdp.ac-dijon.fr/article.php3?id_article=396 This is a random french website so hopefully either you're fluent in french or this link works! Scroll right to the bottom and click on the mask you want, there are black and white ones to colour. Think there are some other resources for Handa's Surprise on there if your brave enough to explore! Good luck x

Posted
    Hi,
    I covered this book a couple of weeks ago. The children designed their own fruit kebab after having a tasting sessions and deciding on their preferences. We devised a design criteria for the kebab - it had to be colourful, have a repeating pattern and have fruit cut into different shapes. They printed their designs with paint, then wrote a shopping list for me, then made (and ate) their kebabs. The eating process was wonderfully quiet! ;-)
    Posted
    You could try out this little African hut/ Handa's fruit list template that I put on my blog this week. You can download it for free. learning parade Handa's Surprise 3D Hut with Fruit List
    Posted