subtraction ideas for reception!!

TES Early Years - Forum

Join hundreds of early years practitioners in the TES Early Years group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 9283 Total Posts 54875

subtraction ideas for reception!!

Hi everyone

I am being observed tomorrow doing a maths carpet session. Has anyone got any ideas or something that i could do on the IWB (subtraction) that will impress. Also something that could follow in the maths area or in the outdoor area please.

xx

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Why not something linked to your current topic.  I did something similar during an Ofsted inspection using dinosaurs.  This wasn't on the IWB though.  I gave each child 10 small dinosaurs plus1 piece of green artificial grass (land) and 1 piece of blue carpet tile (water).  I asked them to put a certain number of dinosaurs in the water and asked how many they had left on the land.  Change numbers depending on each child's ability.  We then said the number sentence to go with each calculation.  The children worked in pairs on the carpet and then in small groups to record in books.

Posted

I am doing something similar this week. I have used cars in a car park on Smartboard on the IWB. There are 10 cars in the car park, 3 drive out. How many are left? Write the number sentence to go with this.

The task is a similar activity using toy cars and a cark park drawn on card. Working in small groups, children record sum on a small whiteboard.

Hope this helps!

Posted

I played beat the teacher, the children had to work out a simple subtraction sum using their fingers if they got it right they got a point if they got it wrong I got a point!

Group activities

Play under the box- Children to look and count the 10 toys. Adult to cover them with a large upturned box, taking some away.  How many is left? How many did I take away? Why?

Play pass it on- Give each child a plate and let them select some ‘treasure’ to put on their plate.  Each child rolls the dice and passes that many objects on to the person next person. How many did you have? How many do you have left?

How many more does your friend have? How many do they have all together?

Ten pin bowling is always a good one.

IWB

www.ICTgames.com (Soccer Subtraction)

Hope this helps! 

Posted