independent activities on 2D and 3D shape (for OFSTED...help please!!)

TES Early Years - Forum

Join hundreds of early years practitioners in the TES Early Years group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 9160 Total Posts 54570

independent activities on 2D and 3D shape (for OFSTED...help please!!)

We have OFSTED coming on weds/thurs (eeek help!) and im predicting that they might come to my class during my "shape" lesson.

So far the plan is to do a short whole class intro on the carpet first (using shape fans...can you show me a shape with 4 sides etc) and possiblly shapes in a feely bag if time!

Then my focus activity for 1 group- my TA will take them off on a shape hunt around the school grounds (inside and outside!)...and i will stay in the classroom and do an activity with my highest abiltiy group (not 100% decided yet but i was thinking of getting them to first draw a picture (using 2D shapes) of a model they want to make (e.g. car)...they design/plan it by drawing round the 2D shapes...and then they will use junk modelling boxes/materials to turn it into a 3D model (following their plan...so that they can see how the flat 2D shapes and solid 3D shapes are connected.) They can talk to me about their model, telling me how many of each shape they will need etc.

The other 2 groups can be doing "child initiated" but i want to leave out some shape related activities for them to choose from aswell...so far all i have is a shape matching game, 2D and 3D shapes for them to stack/build with, feely bag for them to play "guess the shape" with their friends, oh and i will probably leave some 2D shapes out for them to use to draw pictures with.

Does anyone else have any other fab ideas for activities the children can do independently?

I was planning on starting the 1 group off...then leaving them to it for a while whilst i wander around observing those that are playing (so they can see me doing observations too) does that sound ok?

Any other ideas very much appreciated!!!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

A shape hunt/lotto game where children have to find those shapes in the environment and draw them!

Hmmm stumped!

Junk modelling using different shapes/boxes- could talk about what they have used!

Posted

littlemisspractical

Junk modelling using different shapes/boxes- could talk about what they have used!

Sorry I see you have covered that!

Your lesson sounds great by the way!

Posted

It all sounds fine well done

I wonder though, children learn from 3 D to 2 D, did you know that? It might be enough to just make a junk model, talking and describing the shapes in everyday language. You could hold up boxes and tubes and talk about what they could be used for, sort of talk through the process. I think to go from circle triangle square to

tube cylinder cuboid box cone

is a lot of work for one session

then get them to draw what they have made and say how many boxes they used and describe the shapes in their own words.

Sorry does this help? Perhaps you know your own pupils better than me!

Posted

How about leaving old birthday cards out for the children to make jigsaws (pre-line the reverse of each card in such a way that the children have 5 basic shapes to cut out & reassemble). 

A shape game for 2 players.  Prepare 2 identical shape pictures on an A4 landscape sheet e.g. a clown made up of circles, squares, oblongs, triangles, (semi-circles & stars).  Make dice (I've used cube beads or spot/number dice) using sticky backed paper/labels with the shapes drawn on & stuck onto the faces of the dice.  If you want concentrate on certain shapes you could have 2 sides of the same shape.  Children write their name on their side of the A4 sheet & take turns to roll the dice.  If it's a circle they find 1 circle shape on their picture (nose, button etc.) and draw around it with felt pen - this reinforces the properties of the shape & doesn't slow the game down by colouring it.  The winner cuts the A4 sheet in two & the children can colour their pictures.

Do you have polydrons?  They're great for both 2D & 3D.

Posted

The intro, shape hunt with TA and independent activities all sound great. The activity for your focus group does sound a bit challenging. I wonder whether you actually need a focus group, or whether you would be just as well to spend your time moving around the room (clipboard in hand of course!) discussing what different children were doing and asking questions to check their understanding and extend their thinking.

One of my colleagues did this when observed carrying out a shape lesson by our DH, and she had very good feedback. Something else that went down well was that she took photos as she went around, and for the plenary, showed these on the IWB and asked children to explain to the others what they were doing in the photos and what they had learned.

A couple of other ideas for independent activities:

• making solid shapes on the playdough table (could use Sparklebox's playdough mats)
    • putting solid shapes on a table, and challenging children to make different shapes out of polydron
    • have a length of drain pipe - children have to find a way to make it slope, and then investigate which shapes roll and which shapes slide
    • ICT - use an art package such as Dazzle to draw a shape picture
    • printing with shapes in the creative area - encourage children to talk about which shapes they are using
    Posted

Well...one OFSTED day down...one to go!!

OFSTED didnt think much of my "shape hunt" (that was the only bit they observed!...they didnt actually come into the classroom but just bumped into my TA walking around the school looking for shapes)...apparently its too "year 1y"...i was told that she has seen that activity done in years 1,2 and 3 and so i need to know what they are covering in the curriculum so that i dont cover things like that in Reception (never mind the fact that my TA said the children were so enthusiastic and just loved it!!!) she suggsted something she saw in an "outstanding" school....putting headphones on children and playing a CD which says things like "touch the yellow circle" ..which to me sounds really boring and very "un-reception like!"

anyway...theyre coming back tomorrow so we will see how that goes!!

Thankyou for all the fab ideas...they really sound great!! We're continuing shape next week..i will definitely try out some of those ideas!! Smile

Posted
    LucyD84
    OFSTED didnt think much of my "shape hunt" (that was the only bit they observed!...they didnt actually come into the classroom but just bumped into my TA walking around the school looking for shapes)...apparently its too "year 1y"
    Oh for heaven's sake. You know these children better than the inspector. I did shape hunts in reception and a bunch of the children were identifying shapes by their properties by the end.
    Posted