How do you teach tricky words?!

TES Early Years - Forum

Join hundreds of early years practitioners in the TES Early Years group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 9296 Total Posts 54916

How do you teach tricky words?!

I have been thinking about the way I teach tricky words.

Personally I say the word to the children and ask them to sound it out, then I write it on the board. For example, 'have' they say 'h-a-v'. I then show them the tricky word and ask them which bit is tricky, they all say 'the e is pretending he's not there!' and we go from there. But basically they are learning them by just memorising them and going over and over until we get them. 

Is this right, or is there an easier way for the children to remember them?! Most have got them but a few are struggling. 

Any ideas?!?

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

With my kinders as we are introducing such words as a group we clap and count the syllables then  articulate the sounds by stretching the word and I demonstrate how to record the sounds  using elkonian boxes ( 3 boxes as "have" has only 3 sounds but 4 letters). first sound, last sound, middle sound.

When the word is recorded we say the word again and I tell them that the word "have" sounds right but will need an e on the end to make it look right. (but we cant hear it)

The word is then recorded and displayed on a heart flashcard on a word wall and children know that these are the tricky words we need to learn by heart. They can then look for the word they need when writing by finding the rword with the right sounds and are reminded about the tricky part.

The same process and the message that the word needs something on the end to make it "look right" is quickly picked up and you begin to see them transfer this sound and look approach to their writing.

Hope this helps.

Posted

I could send you many posters of pictures and mnemonics for some these words. Children have often come up with their own ways of remembering other words after seeing the different methods - words within words, silly sentences, conecting words with similar spellings [ e.g. pull, bull, full   could would should] with a picture cue etc

email: margaret2612@btinternet.com

Posted

kb11
    With my kinders as we are introducing such words as a group we clap and count the syllables

I am puzzled as to which 'tricky words' contain more than one syllable

Posted

Obviously none but the process is the same in our class when studying words. We start with how many parts or syllables, This is part of the memory patterning process for the chldren.

Was simply outlining the process of introducing all words including tricky words.

Posted

people... looked ... little ... into ... Wink

say the phonemes they know and introduce the "tricky" one they don't know yet and look at other words with the same "tricky" (for now) part

Posted

kb11
    Obviously none but the process is the same in our class when studying words. We start with how many parts or syllables,

Am I misunderstanding something?  Do you introduce the concept of a syllable very early (i.e before words with more than one syllable are introduced)? 

What is a 'part' as opposed to a 'syllable'?

Msz:

I knew you'd come up with a few Crying  Are 'into' and 'little' really tricky, though?

Posted

The concept of Syllables or " parts" (the alternative lable) is introduced and established as one of the first phonemic awareness activities in Kinder. We start with their own names clapping and stamping as they say their names and counting how many claps needed. Explained initially as parts  and then  later correct lable of "syllables' is introduced.

Then as we  move onto introducing HF words we use the same process. Listening for parts or syllables before recording sounds we hear.

Also don't consider into a tricky word however little would work well with the:

clap syllable/sound out in boxes / check if sound right?- look right? process outlined.

Posted

kb11
    Also don't consider into a tricky word :

into is in the list of tricky words published by the DfE which I assume is what the OP is interested in (but I agree it isn't tricky)

Posted

Msz

people... looked ... little ... into ... Wink

say the phonemes they know and introduce the "tricky" one they don't know yet and look at other words with the same "tricky" (for now) part

I'm interested you consider looked to have more than 1 syllable.

We clap and stamp words in nursery.  I think it's as much about  understanding words as units, and encouraging children to listen to the units that are words as collections of sounds, as anything.  The other useful thing is that it encourages them to listen with attention to the sounds they are uttering.

Posted

I don't (not sure why I typed it ) Tongue TiedEmbarrassed you probably should ignore everything I posted yesterday Confused

Posted