Squiggle while you wiggle vs Write Dance

TES Early Years - Forum

Join hundreds of early years practitioners in the TES Early Years group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 9172 Total Posts 54600

Squiggle while you wiggle vs Write Dance

I am in a mixed R/Yr1 class with a range of abilities, but fell one of these 'schemes' would benefit the children. I went on a course led by Shonette Bason( Big Talk) last year and found her style inspirational, if a touch too manic. I have read quite a bit on previous threads about Write Dance and its good and bad points. Does anyone have any experience of Squiggle While you Wiggle please? Cheers
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

I am interested to find out about squiggle while you wiggle too- I have used write dance but we dont use it in an organised way. When I used it in another school they had 3 classes of reception children doing it in the hall with small material ribbons. The volcano lesson was particualrly good. I bought the Nursery Write dance book but we havent used it. I don't find the write dance book  straightforward to use personally. 

Posted

Squiggle Whilst You Wiggle

you can buy it as a download £36 

Posted

Msz...would you recommend it?

Posted

I've never used it and haven't attended a recent course delivered by Shonnette 

http://www.teachfind.com/teachers-tv/early-years-getting-moving-shonette-bason

Posted

thanks for the link!

Posted

I went on a Shonette course last year and felt the same!!! I did purchase the Squiggle resources whilst i was there but when i got home the memory stick would not open so i didn't get to see the resource. When we were on the course we discussed Write Dance and we decided they were very similar , but with Squiggle you can adapt to which ever music you like. There is disco dough suggestions in the programme and stories for the squiggles. I will download it again when it is budget time.  But i don't have any experience of Write Dance though to compare against.

I am also interested in the Big Little Maths course anyone been on training?

Posted

Hi,

I haven't used Write Dance so I can't really compare, but we use Squiggle Whilst You Wiggle in our nursery class. It's very straightforward to use and the children (& staff!!) love it. It starts off with very basic lines (squiggles) and moves on to more complicated shapes/movements. The children "dance" the squiggles and then we draw the squiggle on paper, in sand, etc. The music Shonette recommends is all well known and easily found, but doesn't come with the download from her website. You can go at your own pace - some squiggles take longer than others to master. We do paint a person and dough disco too which were both part of the Squiggle course. The three elements work hand in hand and the children really enjoy them all. We did a parents' session in the Autumn Term and they loved it too. It works - the children's mark making has improved beyond anything I would have expected at the beginning of the year and it has encouraged the more reluctant mark makers too. Hope this helps!

Posted
    Thank you everyone for all of this. As usual this forums soooooooo helpful! Yes I too am going to ask for it in April/budget time.
    Posted

Hi, I'm intrigued by squiggle ....... I have this vision of children squiggling to 'banging house'! Is it whole class suiggling or in a small group near a cd player? Would you say its feasible to introduce it mid year or best kept for September.  Thank you in anticipation Eve

Posted

Hi Eve,

We do Squiggle as a whole class - 26 Nursery children but it could be done in smaller groups just as easily. We dance the Squiggle with magic pencils, pom poms, feather boas, etc. then we sit the children around a long piece of paper (cheap wallpaper usually!) with two pencils/crayons/pens/paint or on the floor and spread sand in front of them and they draw the Squiggle to the music. It takes about 10/15 minutes to do the whole thing.

Our intake is small groups of children throughout the year so some of them have come in part of the way through the Squiggle programme and have picked it up without any problem, so I don't see any difficulty introducing it mid year.

Posted

Thank you so much for responding. I have music in abundance, pom poms, chiffon scarves, gunge etc  all ready and waiting. God help them!!! Thanks Eve

Posted