Development matters and EYFS profile- please help!

TES Early Years - Forum

Join hundreds of early years practitioners in the TES Early Years group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 9095 Total Posts 54456

Development matters and EYFS profile- please help!

I have always used the EYFS profile in planning and assessment. Last term we were told to use the Development matters document instead and got given a whole stack of paperwork to use. I got my head around it, but really don't find DM rigourous enough for planning and assessment.

How does it work where you are? What is the difference between them? Can they be linked.

I have searched on here, but I found old threads so starting a new one incase things are different now.

I am teaching abroad, just incase anyone refers to LA's!

Thanks.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Well, you will find that all the profile scale points are present in the DM, alongside many other statements relating to children's development, age and stage; the DM is actually much more detailed than the profile which was designed for end of stage assessment but not for planning. In making your practice truly rigorous you will find the DM more useful than the profile, as many children will be working at a level below the profile when they enter reception class.

If you work in reception class you will find that most children are working within the 30 to 50 months, and the 40 to 60+ months, bands of the DM. The 40 to 60+ band contains the ELGs (Early Learning Goals) which have an equivalence to the profile scale points. In effect, you will be able to use your existing expertise in assessing to the profile alongside a more broad and balanced understanding of child development provided by the DM. It is worth persevering with it all! Good luck.

Posted

If you look at my resources (click on my username) there is a document which sets out the DMs/ ELGs and profile points (in red). I use these to plan with.

Posted

Thankyou for your replies.

We have to have something to go to year 1, do we use the DM or EYFS? If it is the DM, just highlight and date with evidence?

Hurny, do you use points from both on your planning or vary it? I.e: use DM points in some parts, say CLL and EYFS in PSRN?

Sorry, am getting so confused with it all!

Posted

I will use the DMs and the ELGs (EYFS profile points) when planning activities. It all depends on where the children are in their development. Often I will plan for DMs and ELGs in the same activity for differentiation. So if a child has achieved the DMs then we will work on the ELG and if another child hasn't achieved the DM we will work on that.

If you ave a look at my Focus Activity plan (in my resources ....again) you can see how I integrate DMs and ELGs learning objectives into the same activity.

Posted

cpjoli
    We have to have something to go to year 1,

Does this mean you are planning for children of Year 1 age as well? Or just up to Year 1 age?

Posted

Have a look at my documents using DMs mainly designed for FS so covers 30-50m, 40-60+m & ELGs so should cover most of the range of Reception.

DMs incl ELGs for planning, and ELGs from profile for assessment

Posted