adapting a construction area........any ideas?

TES Early Years - Forum

Join hundreds of early years practitioners in the TES Early Years group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 9083 Total Posts 54437

adapting a construction area........any ideas?

Hi, Im a reception teacher in Brixton, and we operate a free flow. I have a construction area set up with the usual stuff such as mobilo, lego, sticklebricks, wooden blocks etc. I really want to develop this area over the summer to extend children, particularly as they get older over the year. I was thinking things like construction with junk materials, spirit levels, tape measures and a few things like that. I was just wondering if anyone else has any ideas? They would be greatly appreciated!
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Hi :)

I find visual resources really brilliant for extending learning in the construction area, things such as booklets of different types of buildings, books on shapes you can see in buildings and documenting the actual process of building. I make these by printing out a selection of individual A4 pictures, sometimes with key vocab on and then laminating them, hole punching and tying with ribbon really quick and easy. The spirit levels and tapes sound like a great idea for bringing in role play too. I also find open ended resources such as the junk materials you suggested and plain wooden blocks work really well as children can really use their imagination and take it anywhere. Oh and clipboards with gridded paper for desinging their buildings too! :)

Posted
    If your area is outside you could add a builder's tray of sand and some bricks so they can make and remake a low wall. You can buy real looking bricks made of foam for the purpose. A few hard hats and a small trowel could be added as well.
    Posted
    What about enhancing with small world? I'm going to have all my areas as deconstructed (abc does) and not have a role play area or construction area or small world but just all these elements boxed and basketed for the children to use in whatever way possible with enhancements and suggestions. So they may use the tape measures and clipboards to measure the furniture in the folks house then junk model a new piece or draw and Measure their own creations. Dressing up jewellry may be just that or it may become treasure for the small world people and need some sort of box to keep it safe that needs constructing. I'll throw in some character challenges to give ideas ( character from a book we are doing writes to have a problem solved or leaves us necessary equipment to help them).
    Posted

I used to put hard hats and pencils with clipboards in to encourage writing and drawing designs.

The boys wrote more in this area than the writing table.

Posted
    Thank you so much everyone. I now have some more ideas! I spent a bit of money this weekend buying spirit levels, tape measures and loads if stuff. Is it pathetic that im stupidly excited about this?!! :)
    Posted

hello, I have done a selection of construction area images in lollypie1 resources. I have plans, building hard hats, clip boards, and I add photographs of the childrens creations from the area too!

Posted