Mathematical Shape Language in EYFS

TES Early Years - Forum

Join hundreds of early years practitioners in the TES Early Years group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 9029 Total Posts 54285

Mathematical Shape Language in EYFS

Hi

Sorry if this is a really silly question but is there a finite list of "official shape language" to teach in reception?

I've just got to planning for "Beginning to use mathematical names for 2D and 3D shapes, and mathematical terms to describe shapes. - 40 - 60 months"

I hope I'm not coming across as thick but I was just wondering if there were ones that should definitely be taught as well as those that are unnecessary to be taught at 4 years old. I'm talking about list of shapes as well as 'mathematical terms'.

Sorry again for sounding stupid X

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Hi,

I could be wrong but I teach simple 2D shapes so circle, triangle, square, rectangle (oblong) and pentagon and on a lot of my resources these shapes appear. For those more able I introduce more shapes just names though and sides.

3D shapes again I go through them all but focus on a simple selction, sphere, cube etc.

Then I teach faces, sides, vertices (and say oooo this is a posh word for corners)

But this was later in the year with children higher points what would not be expected/exceeding.

Hope this helps in sme way,

x

Posted
    Posted

EXPLORING PATTERNS, SHAPE AND SPACE

shape, pattern flat
    curved, straight round

hollow, solid
    corner
    face, side, edge, end sort
    make, build, draw

3D SHAPES

cube pyramid sphere cone

2D SHAPES

circle triangle square rectangle star

PATTERNS AND SYMMETRY

size
    bigger, larger, smaller symmetrical
    pattern
    repeating pattern match

Having said that if they are ready for more complex shapes then I do have them and talk about them.

I remember on bright spark a couple of years ago who brought me her snack pot to put the lid back on and commented that it was hexagonal!!! 

Posted

Hi there is a mathematics vocab book for reception up to year 6. Im not sure where you will find it now, but I imagine there will be one in your school.

Im in nursery and we learn the name of the 2d and common 3d shapes and we name their properties.. sides, corners (vertices), faces. Our children have no problem learning this new vocab at a young age, just as lots of what they learn is new. So I would go for teaching it all to them :) .

Posted