40-60+ and ELGs - help!!

TES Early Years - Forum

Join hundreds of early years practitioners in the TES Early Years group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 9200 Total Posts 54677
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

40-60+ and ELGs - help!!

I have just been on a moderation course today where we were told that if a child is secure in 40-60 months then they have reached the expected level of ELG. At our school we have been assessing children at 30-50, then 40- 60 and thought that if they were secure at 40-60 they would then start working on the ELGs. Apparently this is not the case which means all our recent data will be wrong!

Could somebody please clarify this as I am going slightly crazy! I think every one on the course was doing the same as me and most people finished up by being very confused. As we are also in special measures I really need to get this right.

Thanks

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

I had my training the other day and we were specifically told that the ELGs are like a 'holistic' view of how the child is at the end of the year. The developmental matters statements are like the building blocks towards the ELG's. We should not judge the children by breaking up the ELGS into individual statements but we should read the ELGS as a whole and take a best fit approach. We shouldn't even be assessing on the ELGS until the end of the year.

Posted
    My problem is that we are using the e profile to assess where children are each half term. We have been using development matters and best fit approach. This half term several of my children were secure in 40-60 so I thought that they would then start working on ELGs and would be assessed entering, developing or secure as we have been doing for 30-50 and 40-60. But it appears that if we say they are secure in 40-60 that also includes all the ELGs which none of my children are at yet. It also means that those I thought were developing in 40-60 may not be as I haven't included ELG statements when looking at best fit. If this is correct then my last 2 sets of assessments are completely wrong!
    Posted

we were told that we should at present only be using which DM age band they are in best fit.

The language of emerging expected and exceeding only apply to the ELG assessment at the end of the year and should not be used against age bands, so technically children can not be emerging 40-60mths. they are either 30-50 or 40-60mths.

typically they may be 30-50 on entry best fit now 40-60 best fit then at end of year expected ELG's

we were a bit miffed by the fact that there is no measure of how far below or above ELG a child maybe, as everyone who was not expected ELG would be classed as emerging, even if they are only still in 30-50mths!! and at the other end you may have a child who would register 1c / 1b's on entry to Y1 but only stated as exceeding.

i can't see how this informs Y1 staff (the whole point of doing ELG assessments) or aides their transition into y1.

Posted

How can that be? if you look at the ELG for Number, the child needs to  "count reliably with numbers from 1 to 20, place them in order and say which number is one more or one less than a given number"  but only secure with the number system to 10! 

Am  waiting for my course next week!

Posted

Each LEA seems to have a different idea - mine (Lancs) have a tracker for the age related bands, and I have to input an on-entry, Autumn, Spring and Summer assessment of 'Entering, Developing or Confident' for each child in the age band which is the best fit. This seems to be the opposite of you have been told!

I would like some to tell me how to organise the evidence collected over the year - when we get moderated at some point, I wonder what they will be looking for? We've been told not to do any extra so would professional judgement do?

Posted

We also have tracker and have to imput data every half term for the age rrelated bands with assessment of just entering, developing or secure. That has workes fine until now when we were told that if they were secure in 40-60 it means that they have completed the ELG. As you pointed out the ELG in number is very different from the 40-60 band. Therefore if they are a best fit at 40-60 they probably will not have completed ELG. We thought that once they were secure in 40-60 they would then move on to ELGs

I am now more confused than at beginning of the year and it seems that people are being told very different things. Maybe there is someone who can explain it all in an early years friendly way!

Posted

If you find one, let me know!

Posted

I have had my training on the profilea dn this is how I Understand it...

You use DM to assess children through the phases, the ELG is 'included' within the 40-60 months age band. So, if you have a child that is 'secure in 40- 60 months then they have met the ELG. This makes complete sense, as there are no new statements within the ELG, it just sums up that particular area.

I was a little confused with maths, as in ELG it states doubling, halving and sharing'. But, as this is part of the 40-60 months it in theory is no new information. And with it being a best fit you need to analyse how important you think each statement is as to if you want the child to acheive that point before you give the mark.

In relation to not using ELG until the end, no we should not do, unless you have a child who has already met the ELG then you look at Dame Clare Tickels 'Exceeding' statements and the National curriculum/APP foci.

Once i had time to come away and unpick it, it actually starts to make a lot more sense!

Posted

GemsEYFS
    I have had my training on the profilea dn this is how I Understand it...

Shocking typos! It's been a long day ;-)

Posted

Thank you. That makes much more sense. :)

Posted

GemsEYFS
    So, if you have a child that is 'secure in 40- 60 months then they have met the ELG

Don't they have to be somewhat more than "secure" in 40-60 to meet the ELG.

What does "secure" mean, anyway?

Posted

I have asked myself the same question. Given the premise that secure 30 - 50 months means emerging 40 - 60; where they should be on entry to Reception, then does secure 40 - 60 months mean emerging ELG? If so, then that's no good for end of year attainment.

I guess launching a framework without providing training is bound to result in this confusion. The worrying thing is, I've been using this framework for half year now without really having a difinitive answer.Confused

Posted
    We were told that secure in 40-60 meant they had achieved ELGs as the ELG statements are part of development matters in 40-60. I think it is all as clear as mud and just when I think I may have got my head around it I get confused again. Maybe don't need to worry as was also told on course that the data won't be reliable for 5 years!!
    Posted

I had a moderation thing today. 

we were told that ny child not achieving the Expected was considered to be Emerging, irrespective of whether they were working at 0-11/ 8-20 /30-50 /40-60 months.

We were also informed that the different statements were graded - Emerging = 1, Expected = 2, Exceeding = 3.  The scores will be averaged and weighed against the national average

Also, the Exceeding was NOT to be used by yr1 teachers as evdence of working at 1c; it was merely exceeding the 'norm' for early years. 

Posted
    T34

Don't they have to be somewhat more than "secure" in 40-60 to meet the ELG.

What does "secure" mean, anyway?

They do not need to be more than secure, as the ELG are part of the 40-60 months within DM. And secure meaning, yes they can confidently meet mosst of the statements.

again, remember that it is only a best fit. They do not need to have every single statement to be awarded as expected ELG, you use your proffesional judgement- Moderation in house/ accross school ect is VITAL!

Posted

GemsEYFS
    They do not need to be more than secure, as the ELG are part of the 40-60 months within DM. And secure meaning, yes they can confidently meet mosst of the statements.

So the next step after "emerging 40-60" is "meeting ELG"? 

In other words, you don't need "Secure 40-60" - it is superfluous.

Posted

Hi

I had LEA moderation training Monday and we were advised that you could not break the ELG up and say 80% (as an example) was achieved nor could you say which sections were more weighhty it was a judgement from the teacher. When asked what the moderation process would expect to see or how they would be looking at it we were told "MODERATE" and every time we asked a question they said only throgh moderation with partner schools could we know what achieved etc would look like!

The electronic tracking system we use (LEA back it) is a tick list grrr and we have to say that chn who are below (working towards 30 - 50) ar emerging! The LEA talked about pilot scheme and errors not corrected for profile (not in right order) anyone else feeling as though they are unsure (and LEA) dont't know what's going on!

Good results in Prime areas plus Literacy and Maths but they will moderate the whole lot!

Am in a tizzy as moderating with other settings is so hard to organise and time is tight!

Hope that others get clearer picture!

Smile

Posted

T34

So the next step after "emerging 40-60" is "meeting ELG"? 

In other words, you don't need "Secure 40-60" - it is superfluous

This is how I assess...

working within, focussing, secure ( Accross the DM bands upto 30-50 months)

After they are secure in 30-50, they will be working within 40-60, then focussing in 40-60 and then the next step is expected ELG. ( so, no secure 40-60)

In terms of emerging,expecting, exceeding. Chidlren will ALL be emerging ( whether they are working at 16-26 months or focussing 40-50)  untill they are at the expected stage against the ELG, then you look at exceeding statement and NC level 1.

Posted

GemsEYFS
    Chidlren will ALL be emerging ( whether they are working at 16-26 months or focussing 40-50)  untill they are at the expected stage against the ELG,

then you look at exceeding statement and NC level 1.

The first part of your statement is what we were told, too.  However, the second part differs from the info we  were given. 

We were told that exceeding ELG does NOT mean working at NC level 1. It simply means working at a level which is exceeding the expectations for Early Years.  Year 1 teachers should NOT expect any child exceeding ELG to be working at 1c or above.

Just goes to show that the LA 'experts' are getting mixed messages and passing on conflicting information.  How can they possibly expect parity across the country if everyone is likely to take contradictory advice as gospel?

Posted