Forums

TES English - Forum

Join hundreds of English teachers in the TES English group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place to go to debate the latest issues in English teaching.

Members 7562 Total Posts 44950
« 1 Please enter a number between 1 and 2  

AQA new English GCSE coursework notes sheet

There should be a copy of a booklet entitled "Controlled Assessment" which contains students' work on writing tasks for English and Shakespeare/ELH for Literature.  Each of the Literature pieces has a completed notes proforma.

If you can't find it at the previous link (under the Controlled Assessment tab) let me know and I'll try to send you a hard copy :) If anyone in your centre attended a Preparing to Teach meeting, they would have been given a hard copy which you can refer to.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

The rubric says that they ADVISE you to use the sheet but you do not have to.

The notes may be on 1 side of A4 and can be typed. Then they must be attached to the proforma.

I got this information from the AQA preparing to teach course that I attended in London at the end of last term.

I have my notes and course pack too! (For back up)

Posted

Right you are. I've found the Lit ones - ta.

Still, a sample plan for comparing two texts isn't very helpful when it comes to the Producing Creative Texts Controlled Assessment. I'm still not clear what they are allowed to write for this.

A list of bulleted ideas to include? A list of rhetorical techniques to remind them to use them? Reminders to self to use complex sentences, etc? Why haven't they provided a completed proforma for this Unit?

I could do the task myself  - "Don't get me started on...!" - using the Controlled Assessment proceedures as the subject of the fictitious column!

Posted

I've found my hard copy of the examples.  They have page refs, key quotations, points of comparison and brief plans so I don't see why the writing plans couldn't have a list of techniques (copied from their exercise books?), reminders and some pre planned vocabulary.  I intend to get my class to come up with some alliterative phrases, similes etc that they might want to include and don't see why these can't be included.  It seems to be me that the only 'notes' that are not allowed are:

plagiarised text

detailed planning grid (interesting that grid is specified)

pre-prepared draft

Posted

phoebe14
    The notes may be on 1 side of A4 and can be typed. Then they must be attached to the proforma

phoebe14

The idea of A4 refers to the size of the proforma and although it is true that the notes can be on a plain sheet, the crucial point is that the space taken for the notes must not exceed the space allowed on the proforma, so what is the point of not using it?  Yes, the notes can be typed  - that is why the proforma is available in electronic format on the website and yes the font size can be very small, but the correct amount of space must be used.  This is the way AQA is trying to ensure consistency of fair practice across all centres using notes.  It remains to be seen what action will be taken if too many notes are used but I sincerely hope it won't be long before teachers realise that the fewer notes the better for the students.  The restriction on size is not intended to be punitive!! 

For goodness' sake, let's all stop trying to find ways round the rules about CA and embrace the spirit of putting the responsibility for work and achievement back onto students!

As stated in one of my previous posts, the things which are not allowed in notes are anything which is not the student's ie plagiarised, teacher's, parents', big brother's etc, anything in continuous prose and a pre-prepared draft.

Posted

regentsreject
    For goodness' sake, let's all stop trying to find ways round the rules about CA and embrace the spirit of putting the responsibility for work and achievement back onto students!

I don't think anyone on here is suggesting finding ways around the rules at all! On the contrary, we are all just desperate to do the right thing so that our students are not penalised by our interpretation of the exam board's rules. To this end, they should have given us more exemplar material to set our minds at rest.
    Posted

regentsreject

phoebe14
    The notes may be on 1 side of A4 and can be typed. Then they must be attached to the proforma

phoebe14

The idea of A4 refers to the size of the proforma and although it is true that the notes can be on a plain sheet, the crucial point is that the space taken for the notes must not exceed the space allowed on the proforma, so what is the point of not using it?  Yes, the notes can be typed  - that is why the proforma is available in electronic format on the website and yes the font size can be very small, but the correct amount of space must be used.  This is the way AQA is trying to ensure consistency of fair practice across all centres using notes.  It remains to be seen what action will be taken if too many notes are used but I sincerely hope it won't be long before teachers realise that the fewer notes the better for the students.  The restriction on size is not intended to be punitive!! 

As stated in one of my previous posts, the things which are not allowed in notes are anything which is not the student's ie plagiarised, teacher's, parents', big brother's etc, anything in continuous prose and a pre-prepared draft.

No - sorry - this was not what was said on the meeting and clarified several times. A sheet of A4 was mentioned - no reference to the same space as per the proforma. If AQA cannot get their message straight, they cannot really penalise, can they? No-one is trying to get round the rules but surely stupid ones need addressing. It might also be worth remembering that the very organisation which brought about such changes was the demised QCDA, as well, of course, of those teachers who let plagiarism slip through unchallenged.

Posted

phoebe14
    No - sorry - this was not what was said on the meeting and clarified several times. A sheet of A4 was mentioned - no reference to the same space as per the proforma. If AQA cannot get their message straight, they cannot really penalise, can they? No-one is trying to get round the rules but surely stupid ones need addressing.

I totally agree that there has been considerable uncertainty about what exactly is permitted in terms of notes and an A4 sheet was mentioned initially.  Then came interminable questions about whether that was single sided or double sided, lined or unlined, which font size if typed etc.  It is very difficult to be precise about these elements.  The requirement for the notes to be signed was another factor which meant that a more official form with a designated space for notes was created.  As I previously posted, centres which have already done CAs with notes on A4 paper should not worry unnecessarily, but if the practice of using too many notes continues, it is likely that some action will be taken in order to ensure that all centres are being treated equitably. 

As far as exemplification material goes, it is difficult to obtain genuine student material when centres are reluctant or unable to commit the time to trialling units, but there are some for the Literature CA in the Preparing to Teach materials.  The form is in itself very good exemplification and standardising meetings will clarify this thorny issue further.

phoebe14
    For goodness' sake, let's all stop trying to find ways round the rules about CA

I did not intend to offend anyone with this comment, but there have been numerous questions and comments (not in this thread or on this site necessarily) indicating a reluctance or deliberate decision not to abide by the rules for CA.  Everyone wants a level playing field for this and everyone knows how difficult it is to achieve this aim.  So, my comment above was simply a plea for us all to go with the restrictions on notes willingly and see the move as a positive step.

Posted