Forums

TES Geography - Forum

The TES Geography group is a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where you go to debate the latest issues in geography teaching.

Members 1467 Total Posts 2095

Help me with topic on Barnaby bear around the World

Help! I am planning a Geography unit (Around the World with Barnaby bear-standard for KS1!)...and am sorted for all the lessons apart from my one about China...linking it to the weather/climate change ideally? Or anything else.... I am a 3rd yr student in a mixed age infant class (Reception, Y1, Y2) in a village school. :) Should I stick with China or 'go' somewhere else? Got lessons sorted for: France-focus on what you should take on holiday and Hot/Cold climate depending on seasons (e.g. France is hot in summer and snowy in some parts in the Winter) India-focus on types of transport to get to different countries/within India Sweden-focus on Europe/topic consolidation So...help with a lesson on China, or suggestions for other places suitable for children to understand about variety of weather within the same country/weather which contrasts with UK. I would quite like it to be a non-European country if you don't think China is a suitable one... Thank you
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    How about Australia? Surely that would be easier and there's a huge amount of variation there? You could contrast the coastal areas with the arid centre, or just compare the east and west or north and south. I'm not trying to say that China would be unsuitable, but just that I can't think of how you could use China with R, Y1 and Y2 (I'm a secondary teacher and all of my initials ideas would be the wrong level). Remember the GA do a selection of Barnaby bear resources - they might be worth looking into? Good luck and enjoy the exciting planning process (I always find it really fun and quite satisfying!)
    Posted

How about using this as a place for inspiration.

http://www.holidaysforever.co.uk/pages/ecotraveller.html

They have resources for Egypt, Greece, Kenya, Mexico, Spain and the UK: - teacher notes, lesson plans, video, photos, and audio clips.

May be of use for your needs.

Posted