Geography GSCE level descriptors

TES Geography - Forum

The TES Geography group is a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where you go to debate the latest issues in geography teaching.

Members 1480 Total Posts 2098

Geography GSCE level descriptors

Hi

As an NQT I've just started teaching AQA spec A at GSCE and can only find the level descriptors from the spec but these are only for grades A, C and G. I'd really like to be able to give students more broken down descriptors like those so commonly used at KS3 to help them make steps up. If anyone has any I'd be really grateful. Even if they are for a different exam board or different spec, they would be a great start.

Cheers

Matt 

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

We teach AQA Geog B and the same applies, you only really get A C and F. I've edited the following for my students:

Below are simple grade descriptors that have been edited to fit this space,

Grade A

Candidates recall accurately detailed information about places, environments and themes, across all scales, as required by the specification, and show detailed knowledge of location and geographical terminology.

Candidates understand thoroughly geographical ideas from the specification content, and apply their understanding to analyses of unfamiliar contexts. They understand thoroughly the way in which a wide range of physical and human processes interact to influence the development of geographical patterns, the geographical characteristics of particular places and environments, and their interdependence

Grade C

Candidates recall accurately information about places, environments and themes, across all scales, as required by the specification, and show detailed knowledge of location and geographical terminology.

Candidates understand thoroughly geographical ideas from the specification content in a variety of physical and human contexts. They understand a range of physical and human processes.

Grade F

Candidates recall basic information about places and themes, at more than one scale, as required by the specification, and show an elementary level of knowledge of location and geographical terminology.

Candidates understand some simple geographical ideas from the specification content in a particular context. They understand some simple physical and human processes.

So often grades are given based on marks, so I tend to use a lot of exam questions or papers. Up until this summer it was roughly 90% A*, 80%A, 70*B, 60%C, 50%D, and so on. Now I'm not so sure I'd tie myself down to a grade unless really pushed.

A more general rule of thumb I use with the students as a success criteria: B-A* = detailed answers with appropriate key words and detailed case studies. D-C = clear answers with some use of key words, F-E = basic answer, facts recalled with varying degree of accuracy.

Sorry I can't be a lot clearer, there doesn't seem to be a lot out there!

Rebecca

Posted

I teach AQA A and was lucky that my colleague had substantial experience examining for the board, thereby allowing me to work out what students needed to have to get certain grades.

What you really need to know is the marking rules, rather than grade descriptors per se. This allows you to set certain example questions, mark them according to AQA rules and then grade them according to the percentages given in the previous post:

So - 1-3 mark questions = 1 correct mark for each point (max 3) - this is Level 1 on AQA A

4 Mark questions - L1 (1-2 Marks) - 1 correct mark for each point (Max. 2), L2 (3-4) develop one L1 point with connectives (link and elaborate) for 3 marks, do it twice to get 4 marks

6 Mark question - L1 (1-4 Marks) - 1 correct mark for each point (Max 4.), L2 (5-6 marks) - develop one L1 point with connectives (link and elaborate) to get 5 marks, do it twice to get 6

8 Mark Questions - L1 (1-4 Marks) - 1 correct mark for each point (Max 4), L2 (5-6 marks) - develop one L1 point with connectives to get 5 marks, do it twice to get 6, L3 (7-8 Marks) use case study information so it is clear that your answer is not generic

I teach my kids these rules. I would also urge you to sign up to be an examiner for the forthcoming season - I did it in June and it was the best CPD I ever did. I quickly learnt how to mark and what to look for, it improved my teaching substantially. After marking 300 papers, I also knew what a good, ok and poor answer looked like and how to improve answers to do better.

Posted