GTP after unsuccessful PGCE interview - Manchester?

TES GTP - Forum

Get together with other trainees trying to get on the Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP) in the TES GTP Group. Get GTP application and interview advice, find out who’s got a place where and discuss what it’s really like once you’re on the GTP programme

Members 1685 Total Posts 5674

GTP after unsuccessful PGCE interview - Manchester?

Hi there,

I had an unsuccessful PGCE interview at MMu last week.  I had to tell people at work today and the teacher I work with & Dep Head were v shocked I wasn't offered a place.  They have suggested I try the GTP route and think the head would prob be supportive of this.  

I have a couple of Qs - the taught part of the Manchester GTP route is handled by MMU - if I have already failed to get in there on the PGCE is it even worth me applying for the GTP?  Or is it all taught by different people?  Also, my application has automatically been sent to my 2nd choice by GTTR - can I apply for the PGCE and GTP at the same time?

Any advice very gratefully received!  Thanks.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Hi

Sorry to hear your bad news. Have you had feedback from the interview as to why they were unable to make you an offer?

I'm in Surrey and the process may be different for you, but I'm applying for both GTP and PGCE. I had a PGCE interview yesterday and have a GTP interview at the same campus next week. Also, the GTP providers are encouraging us to apply to all of the other GTP providers that cover our area to maximise our chances. Each has their own application process and timeframes and there is no over-arching application process for GTP (yet).

I don't think this is a problem. If I'm asked about it, my reply will be along the lines of "of course I'm applying to all the providers - I really really want to become a teacher"

Good luck!

Clive

Posted

Hi winnieg,

Sorry to hear about the PGCE, I'm currently doing the GTP with STORM/MMU in Manchester.

There is no problem in applying for both PGCE and GTP, and as far as I am aware it is STORM not MMU who do the recruiting for the GTP in Manchester so it is definitely worth applying.

Hope this helps...

Posted
    Hi, Apologies for bombarding this topic with a slightly off topic question - but I've been looking at STORM as a GTP and noticed that you're (bkdavy) on it - what is it like? Thanks.
    Posted

Hello I applied for GTP with Manchester STORM Jan 14th deadline. I haven't had a reply and I know that candidate assessments are scheduled for the week beginning February 14th. Should I assume that I have been unsuccessful in getting past initial application stage? Is there anybody else out there who applied and have you had a reply?

Posted

Manchester Storm application 2011/12 has anybody got interview yet? 

Hello I applied for GTP with Manchester STORM 2011/2012 Jan 14th deadline. I haven't had a reply and I know that candidate assessments are scheduled for the week beginning February 14th. Should I assume that I have been unsuccessful in getting past initial application stage? Is there anybody else out there who has applied and have you had a reply yet?

Posted

Hi, I also applied for the GTP with STORM, and have not heard anything back yet... I dont know what to assume... I hope its good news though... 

Posted

Hi, I have not heard anything back from STORM either and so I am fearing the worst.  I also applied for Northwest & Lancs GTP but the closing date was only the 31st Jan for that one so I wasn't expecting anything back from that one yet.  Fingers crossed for you.

Posted

Hi I got a reply back and I have invitation to attend the Assessment Centre....Has anyone been to one of these before?

Posted

I've got an interview too. I don't know what to expect either....... I'm really nervous! I don't want to let myself down and I would be really grateful for any help or advice.

Posted
    Julie and Selina are you both attending the STORM assessment centre if so what date and what group are you both in. I don't think we have alot of information to give us enough insight to what will be required from us really. I just think they want to see if we can communicate effectively, have an understanding of what a lesson should involve, can show team work just have a genuine passion and understanding of what teaching involves and can show commitment to be able to successfully complete the GTP year. What are your views?
    Posted
    Hi I will be attending the assessment centre tomorrow and I am in group 4B. Yeah i think that thats what they are expecting of us... See you there... Good luck to all of us...
    Posted

Hi,

I'm currently on the GTP through STORM, last year there was no assessment centre? it was simply an interview involving a small presentation so I can't really help with that sorry!

As for the GTP with STORM.....

It is a very intense training programme with a full time commitment to your school and most of us spend at least a couple of hours every night on planning, research, assignments etc, so don't expect to have much of a social life!  On the flip side it is a really rewarding experience and there are as many highs as there are lows! 

(Please don't ask me about my thoughts on STORM as I think I would get into trouble!!!)

Good luck, and and feel free to ask anything else you want to know...

Posted
    Thankyou both for your response, I understand the intensity of it spoke to others who have gone through the programme. As for interview yes its very different. But lets see, fingers crossed for us all.
    Posted

Hi, I am also attending the assessment centre tomorrow for STORM. Only thing that threw me was the request for a newspaper article. Are we supposed to plan how to incorporate the article into a lesson? Think I might just go in with a clear head (or as close as possible). Good luck and see you there :)

Posted

Thank you for all your advice. I had my interview yesterday and I feel that my nerves got the better of me! I dont think I will be called back for interview. Everyone on the day was so friendly and supportive ( and much better than me!).

It is so hard to perform on the day when you know you have so much depending on getting through. I cant afford to wait another year on support staff salary!

Good luck to everyone who had an interview!

Posted
    I attended the STORM interview and like you found everyone really friendly but competition was fierce. I was 50/50 - confident on two out of the four tasks. This proved true as i was informed on Friday that i was unsuccessful, how about you? I am like you unsure now what to do, i really want to do it but i have already took a big pay cut and just about coping this year, but another year will put alot of strain on me. Its hard to know what to do for the best. Well i wish you all the best what ever you decide.
    Posted

Sorry for the late reply.... I had a phone call from work on Friday to tell me I had another interview..... I could not believe it! I was so pleased only to check my own email, on Monday because my internet was down (Ive just changed providers) and find out that Storm had made a HUGE mistake and emailed all schools and mentors to tell them their candidates were successful! I was so shocked and upset. How can they do that? I'm sure that I am not the only person to have felt like this. How unprofessional!  My school are furious!

Good luck to you too - I'm not sure what I'm going to do next .......

Posted

I have many years teaching experience but need QTS.  No luck with MMU,Edge Hill or John Moores.  Applied to Merseyside and Cheshire GTP Consortium based in Runcorn and was successful for 2010-11.  Hard work but worth applying.  There appears to be no logical way of choosing candidates these days but keep your fingers crossed and be positive with each application.  Something will turn up.

Posted

Thank you for your support. I am in the middle of applying for Merseyside & Cheshire but I am struggling to find a school to support me. I work in a school outside the consortium area. The school I was hoping would support me in East Cheshire does not think it will be offering any GTP places for 2011. I have also applied to Bradford. Its a long way to travel but Im really desperate to gain QTS.

Posted