School Direct Interview - HELP!!!

TES GTP - Forum

Get together with other trainees trying to get on the Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP) in the TES GTP Group. Get GTP application and interview advice, find out who’s got a place where and discuss what it’s really like once you’re on the GTP programme

Members 1674 Total Posts 5667

School Direct Interview - HELP!!!

Hi, I have a School Direct interview next week, any tips?? 

So far I've been told to think about a good lesson I've been involved in and why I thought it was good, I know I'm going to be asked to do a presentation on a topic given on the day (any thoughts on what topic might be?), and to be clear that I am aware of the workload and how I am going to cope, why I want work based training (apart from the salary) etc.

If any experts have any top questions or presentation topics that they ask when interviewing I'd love to hear from them.  I've had some support from my headteacher but am looking for as much as possible as I really really want to do this and am lucky to have an interview!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

They fundamentally want to assess you teaching skills, your ability to think on the spot and particularly that you can reflect on what you have observed. The prospects guides on interviews are good sources of information on applying to any post graduate teaching programme prospects.ac.uk.

Assess yourself are there 5 skills/attributes you believe you possess that would make you a good teacher? Bring these into the presentation.Back up any statements/generalisations with facts/evidence.

Posted
    Thank you, am jotting 5 attributes now!
    Posted

Hi,

How did the interview go?  I have mine coming up and wondering about the process....Is it different to a university PGCE interview?  What did you do in your discussion?and how were the tests?

Posted

Hi, I found out yesterday ) that I got on to the School Direct!  I had an email inviting me to inverview at another school and I phoned them to see if they'd made a decision as I needed to accept/decline interview and they told me over the phone - I keep thinking I'm imagining it but will get written confirmation shortly!

I found that my pgce interview was good practice for the school direct.  It wasn't as friendly; at the pgce we were grouped for the presentations and there were about 30 applicants, but my sd interview was individual and I did not see any other candidates.  I had 30 minutes to prepare for a presentation on a topic given on the day and then a panel interview with the School Direct co-ordinator and a local headteacher.  They just wrote notes while I talked and I did not feel that it went well at all.  The type of questions asked were basically the same, eg what makes a good teacher, why do you want to do this route, why do you want to teach, one question that I found weird was when have you sought study mentor support.  The topics given for the interview were based on educational issues and I did not feel that I needed any additional information, I think they are looking for eye contact and clear coherent argument.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Posted