Schools Direct Interview... help?

TES GTP - Forum

Get together with other trainees trying to get on the Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP) in the TES GTP Group. Get GTP application and interview advice, find out who’s got a place where and discuss what it’s really like once you’re on the GTP programme

Members 1674 Total Posts 5667

Schools Direct Interview... help?

Hi,

I have a Schools Direct interview in January. I need to prepare a presentation which will be presented to a student panel and the subject is: select one or two experiences in your school, university or working life, which have influenced your views on education.  You should be prepared to explain why these experiences have been influential and possible implications for secondary schooling.

Does anyone know what they're trying to assess here? What sort of things would be good to include? The fact that its in front of a student panel is throwing me a bit, will they ask me questions? 

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Yes, the student panel will ask you questions which will (probably) have been devised by the students with gentle "guidance" from SLT or interviewers. Many job interviews also have student panels and this is how a school that I know operates.
    Posted

Will it not be different though as I'm giving a presentation to them? Or is that just a guise for them to ask me questions?

Posted

What they are assessing through your presentation is your potential to teach. They will be looking at how you structure your talk ,what stimuli you use, what you choose to focus on etc.They are imagining you in the classroom so approach it like you would deliver a lesson and convince the audience you can teach.

Posted
    Hey, Good luck for your presentation but I am still stuck in filling my application form. Need to know exactly what different terms are referring to I am new in teaching not much experience yet high ambitions.... Please tell me what does term establishment means? In qualification page. Core GCSE are the professional skills that requires fresh test not what we studied in the past? Any guidance for the BEST/ HITTING personal statement any useful links?? I am Masters in English literature. Have been teaching for 5 years in Pakistan. Here I am working as a Volunteer teacher. Just want to get a place in 2013/14 traningg programme. Your guidance would be much appreciated!!
    Posted