Forums

TES Headteacher - Forum

Join other headteachers and talk about the challenges of the role in the TES Headteacher Group. This is the place to get advice from your peers on all aspects of school management including dealing with governors and parents.

Members 2177 Total Posts 13319

HT Salary range for the school's group size?

Hi

Does anyone know where I can find out the Leadership salary range for Head Teacher related to the group size.  I have been offered a job in a school with 360 children (KS1 and 2)?

Trying to find out the salary range for a group 2 and/or 3 school really.

Thanks

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

School group size depends which Key Stage(s) are taught in the school and how many pupils are in each Key Stage.

First of all you allocate a certain number of ‘units’ to each pupil in the school:

Each pre-key stage one pupil and each pupil at key stage one or two = 7 units
    Each pupil at key stage three = 9 units
    Each pupil at key stage four = 11 units
    Each pupil at key stage five = 13 units

Add up all the units represented by the pupils in the School to find the Total Unit Score.

Then you find the Headteacher Group from the total.

Up to 1,000 = School Group 1
    1,001 to 2,200 = School Group 2
    2,201 to 3,500 = School Group 3
    3,501 to 5,000 = School Group 4
    5,001 to 7,500 = School Group 5
    7,501 to 11,000 = School Group 6
    11,001 to 17,000 = School Group 7
    17,001 and over = School Group 8

So, Your school has 360 pupils (all Primary); gives a Total Unit Score of (360 x 7) = 2520
    So it would be Group 3.

Now go to a site which gives you the Leadership pay scales, such as http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=12833

There you will find information you want in Section 2 (Part 3) of the STPC document.  For a Group 3 school the range is between L11 and L24 (inclusive), but it will in reality depend on what the governors have decided the individual school ISR will be.

All the informatiion you need is in the STPCD.

Posted
    Thanks Nomad, really comprehensive and helpful
    Posted

Just out of interest Nomad - what happens when the Governing Body disregards this and continues to give the HT pay rises well above the range? Can they just do this? I was surprised to be told by a HT near me that she was being paid well above her range due to her being there a long time. I will be at the top of my range next year - I suppose that will be my cue to move?

Posted

Governing Bodies can't just give pay rises above the ISR. What they can do, though, is review the ISR.

I was a governor of a school where we felt it appropriate to move the ISR above the group suggested for the school. Indeed, the school was only a few points short of falling in the next group anyway (I think we calculated that if the 7 spaces in the school filled, it would tip the balance!). But that aside, we felt that that particular, it was appropriate that the post offered a slightly higher salary than the suggested range in reflection of the location of the school, its catchment, and the work needed in various respects.

That decision came at the end of a considerable process of review, county advice and full GB consideration. It resulted in the pay scale being moved up by just 3 points, however. It was enough to retain the very good leader in place at the time. I have since moved on, and that Head may well be thinking of doing likewise as they approach the top of that range!

Posted