Average Points Score Progress Embarrassing Question.

TES Headteacher - Forum

Join other headteachers and talk about the challenges of the role in the TES Headteacher Group. This is the place to get advice from your peers on all aspects of school management including dealing with governors and parents.

Members 2065 Total Posts 12771

Average Points Score Progress Embarrassing Question.

Let's leave aside the moral issue of reducing a 6 year old child's experiences at school to a number between 0 and 5. In Key stage 1 how many points progress is a child meant to make if s/he is making good progress.

I'm almost embarrassed to ask the question.

Thanks
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Essentially, average progress is one point per term.  (Three points per year and 6 points over two years.  Hence the expectation of 12 points progress between KS1 Tests in Year 2 and Key Stage 2 Teats in Year 6).

Anything over one point per term (e.g. four points over the year) would be 'good' progress.

Posted

We do generally say that each year 3 points is satisfactory.

4 points would be very good as that would equate to 2/3 level for all children on average. Across KS2 this would move a 1b childre to 4c- which I feel would be very good- 8 sub levels. 9 sub levels or more I would say was outstanding, personally. This would mean a year group avergae in Y2 of 15 points (2b) would be 33 points in Y6 (L5!!) So, I accept around 3.5 average as good.

Whilst we agree similar APS progress expectations in KS1, it's not always straightforward as it depends on 2 things: 1- how many children in Y1 enter the key stage within the National Curriculum levels 2- where you equate the FS points to levels- we have had endless debates about this one!

However, there are some serious flaws in the system:

If 6 FS points is the expectation by thew end of Reception, then a child at 6 points coming into Y1 would be expected to acheive 2b (15 points) by the Y2 tests, if you work backwards assuming 1 level in 2 years for satisfactory progress this means the child whould be a 1b at the beginning of Y1.However, officially, there is only a score of 9 points for L1 (no sublevels).

This raises a number of issues, firstly, 6 points (in my opinion) does not equate to 1b (I would say 1c but it's still not a perfect fit as the FS scales are very wide-ranging and they have found little correlation between most scales and KS1 outcomes). This means, in 2 years, to make satisfactory progress the child needs to make 4 sub levels in 2 years (8 points), making 4 points per year satisfactory for this 'average' child.

Also, if your school is not breaking down L1 and giving all L1 children 9 points on entry to KS1, if a 1c child makes 6 points, they reach 2c which is not the expcted level. If a 1b (also given 9 points) makes 6 points progress they reach 2b (average/expected). A 1a, also given 9 points, makes 6 points and reaches 2a, an above average/expected level.

Children entering the Key Stage still at FS points also make progress difficult to measure. Some children might not access NC levels until towards the end of Y1 or later. So how do you average out the progress of a child who enters on 4 points and does not access 1c until March of Year 1?

The other issue might be that a child entering, say Y2, at 1a could be at the very bottom end of 1a (just 1 mark into the sub level). They might progress through the sub level and into 2c and be at the very top of 2c sub level (1 mark away fom 2b) by the May test. However, the child will only be awarded 2 points. By July, they may be into 2b and have made 2/3 of a level (4 points). However, because they were at the very bottom of the 1a sub level and they were assessed in May their progress looks inadequate.

Trying to measure 1/2 a level a year when the steps are given in 1/3 of levels is pretty difficult. We can't measure 3 points in the year for 1 child, only as an averageof the class/group but the avergae may be skewed by the issues above.

When Dearing wrote the levels, he never meant for them to be assessed other than at the end of the key stage. Measuring each year is virtually impossible!

There are also lots of transfer issues from Key Stage 1 into Key Stage 2 because level 3 is 21 points with no sub levels.

So, in short, yes 1 point per term, 3 points per year, 6 points (1 level) in 2 years is satisfactory. 3.5, perhaps 4 is good. But other factors need to be taken into consideration and the results and averages drilled down at the end of the year.

Sorry if this clouds the issue even more, but we have been handed an impossible set of yard sticks!

www.ofsted.gov.uk/.../Infosheet%201%20(Word%20format).doc

This document does make a look simple, but I beg to differ!

Posted

thanks very much for replies. Re the FSP score/ NC equivalent. It might be worth measuring progress from the end of Autumn 1 in Year 1 (rather than the end of FS) when teacher assessment will be much sounder.

Posted

MrsC@TheGates
    The other issue might be that a child entering, say Y2, at 1a could be at the very bottom end of 1a (just 1 mark into the sub level). They might progress through the sub level and into 2c and be at the very top of 2c sub level (1 mark away fom 2b) by the May test. However, the child will only be awarded 2 points. By July, they may be into 2b and have made 2/3 of a level (4 points). However, because they were at the very bottom of the 1a sub level and they were assessed in May their progress looks inadequate.

This has really helped my understanding.  Thank you, I will now go and hang myself!

Posted
    We have had an LA advisor try to tell us that a child who makes 12 points progress in KS1 is satisfactory, 3 points in a year is inadequate! 
    Posted
    Bleep
    Posted
    Absolutely agree. 6 points very rarely = 1b in my experience and should not be used to set any targets either for children or teachers. I recently looked at the % of children that came to me with 6 points in linking sounds and letters and passed the Year 1 phonics screening. The data showed that only 20% of the 6 pointers passed. Not that I rate the phonics test, sorry, screening as a measure of anything in particular my findings just compounded the fact that 6 points is not an accurate measure of an 'average' child who will make 'average' progress to become a 1b and then a 2b in literacy.
    Posted
    My understanding is that expected progress is 4 points per year in KS1, 3 points per year in KS2 ( which equates to 2 complete levels from yr 2 to yr 6) - of course in ofsted terms 'expected progress' only equates to 'satisfactory' or should I say 'requires improvement' . 'good' progress would need to exceed that.

Posted
    As I understand it ... At Ks1 pupils are expected to make 1 WHOLE level or 6 points progress in each year. Point 6 at EYFSP does not equate to level 1b and I have never heard anyone try to claim that it does ... I would say that point 6 equates to approx 3 points in NC speak making the progress from End of FS to End of Y2 from 3 points to 15 points i.e. 12 points over 2 years However, our LA stats expert is always at pains to work out that NC points data is always a bit flaky throughout KS1 and that we should be thinking that expected progress is from FS point 6 to 2b by the end of year 2 ... I look for/expect (and get) the FS point 6 children to be at or around 1b by the end of y1 so that they are on course for 2b by the end of y2. In the same way if pupils are at 100 points + we aim for level 3 by the end of year 2 - meaning we want a high level 1 or low level 2 at the end of year 1. This quote from Barack Obama in his victory speech this week sums up the REAL situation ... "Progress will come in fits and starts, it's not always a straight line, it's not always a smooth path."
    Posted
    There is no correlation between FS scores and NC levels. I know some schools that have pt8/9 as a  1c but this is incorrect. There is something official somewhere that explains that we should not be using FS profile scores to predict end of KS1/2 levels and that it categorically isnt a 1c. I will see if I can find the link. I think sometimes when schools do this it puts the Y1 teacher at a tremendous disadvantage as they look as though they havent made much progress and the children have spent alongtime on 1c. Infact they never were a 1c to start with. I will see if I can find it. I think someone posted a link to it on the EYs forum a while back.
    Posted
    Whilst I agree with Marymoocow about there being no direct correlation between FS scores and KS1 levels, I have always thought it was fair to assume that any child who was pt 8/9 across the board at the end of FS is above average and therefore should be above average at the end of year 1 and year 2. I set targets of 1a for the end of year 1 and level 3 for the end of KS1 and these are usually achieved. I think it is much more important that we focus on where they need to be at the end of year 1, than trying to convert the FS score to a NC level at the beginning.
    Posted

I can't link to the site but the position of the National Assessment Agency is made clear in the following statement:

"Some LA's and commercial companies have produced materials that attempt to equate FSP scale points to NC sublevels.......Any equation of FSP scales or scale point scores to NC levels on invented sublevels is a spurious and ultimately inaccurate exercise."

Whilst I agree that a child achieving high scores is likely to be above average, you have to understand that these children are being assessed with wildly different maturities and parental support. I work in a deprived area and it is quite common for a low achieving  child with low level entry in nursery and reception to suddenly mature or catch up after their earlier disadvantages and achieve high levels at KS1. Equally I have seen many a child who has been pushed and hothoused by thier parents achieve high scores but then plateau and end up with fairly average end of KS1 scores.

The one thing that reasearch has shown is a good indicator of achievement is PSED and Speaking and listening scores. Without good scores in these at FSP then good achievement in the other areas will not continue. Obviously we know how EBD issues can affect progress for all children whatever their age, but he S&L scores also make sense. i.e for writing the children only have to be able to write simple sentences using phonic knowledge. Most children are capable of this with good phonics teaching. However to really progress in writing they need the vocabulary and understanding etc. Children with poor S&L skills dont have this.

Personally I agree with another poster that perhaps target setting should be done at the end of the Autumn term for Y1 classes when under achieving children move onto P levels anyway and more children are likely to be moving into a 1c. 

Posted
    Year 1 Autumn 1pt Year 1 Spring to Year 2 Spring 2 pts per term Year 2 Summer 1 pt = 12 point over KS1 - average/satisfactory progress and therefore requires improvement (pah!) KS2 1 pt per term is satisfactory... not good enough.
    Posted

Having somehow managed to avoid the issue of APS over the last few years I suddenly found myself needing to understand the data a bit more and came across this thread ... once the dark feelings of gloom subsided and I looked further down my google list I came across this gov pub ... which many of you may have seen by now, but thought I'd add it.  I quite like it, although it doesn't match up to what my school's Y1 have been doing to set targets from FSP scores :(

http://www.primaryprogresstoolkit.co.uk/download/What%20is%20Standard%20Progress.pdf

Posted
    As the author of this publication, What is standard Progress?, I should make it clear that is is certainly not a 'gov pub'. It has no official status, but explains how we measure Standard Progress in our software package Primary Progress toolkit. It is also out of date and I am currently re-writing it to reflect changes which the Government has introduced, particularly the new EYFS... Roger Watson
    Posted
    Hi Roger, When do you expect this new document to be out?
    Posted

Thought id move this up again to see if people are finding expectations for ks1 are moving up higher than ever. Even if we ignore the issues of moving from FS to KS1 which I know is a huge one how many points progress in KS1 is expected and good we are being told 6 and 8 which unless ive totally got confused means pretty much everyone should get L3 of some kind which of course has knock on for KS2 too

Posted

Surrey are telling us that 8 over the two years is expected, 10 good and 10+ outstanding. During a recent Ofsted inspection a local infant school was told unless 6 APS in Year 2 alone, the school would be RI!!!! The DH then showed them the Surrey guidelines and they accepted it. All too fuzzy though and no official guidelines from DfE or Ofsted make this really tricky especially with EYFS thrown in.

Posted

See what that school weretold by Osted fits what our LA are saying ie 6pts yr ks1 = expected below could lead therefore to RI, cant see why saying this is what our LA say would get Ofsted off your back. Trouble is the 8pts per year good means your children coming from FS on 3pts would still get to 3c by end ofks1 and need l6 ks2 to be good, if aim for 80% good I cant even begin to imagine how we could achieve this

Posted