Qualifications and Experience for becoming a Head/ Deputy teacher

TES Headteacher - Forum

Join other headteachers and talk about the challenges of the role in the TES Headteacher Group. This is the place to get advice from your peers on all aspects of school management including dealing with governors and parents.

Members 2162 Total Posts 13223

Qualifications and Experience for becoming a Head/ Deputy teacher

What are the minimum requirement, qualifications and experiences on becoming a head teacher? What about a deputy head teacher? Details please. Thanks in advance.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

The ability to research and find out oneself. 

Posted

HasnainKhan
    What are the minimum requirement, qualifications and experiences on becoming a head teacher? What about a deputy head teacher? Details please. Thanks in advance.

It's not about 'minimum' anything.  My best advice is to take your time, get lots of experience at every stage (be the best teacher possible and be it for a number of years, for example), don't try to cut any corners and have enough humility to say 'I'm not ready yet.'

Posted

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/585512/7538800.aspx#7538800

Judging by this thread and the one where you ask how often to do your marking, you've got a loooong way to go.

Posted

HasnainKhan

Well, firstly you have to complete successfully your Induction Year - which you haven't yet started, if I understand your other threads correctly.

That is nowadays the only qualification required, as the NPQH (Google it - don't ask us) is no longer a requirement.

In addition you need:

• the ability to do the job
    • the vision to know what job to do
    • the credibility to persuade others that you have the vision and ability to do the job.

For a Headship, a Deputy Headship, or a Head of Department role (which I see that you are also enquiring about on another Forum), the best way to find out what Governing Bodies are looking for is to actually look at a job advert and read the person specification.

It might also be a good idea to read the job description - I see that you are unsure what a HoD does to warrant the extra pay.

So go to the Jobs section of the site and see what posts are being advertised there that you could aspire to in the future.

When you have done your induction year.

Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

Posted

Theo, have a look at the primary thread to see the other posts by H Khan. Perhaps you've wasted your time?

Posted

HasnainKhan

Humility helps.

Posted
    slugtrial

Theo, have a look at the primary thread to see the other posts by H Khan. Perhaps you've wasted your time?

Couldn't see any, then came back here and saw that he had changed his username.

Wonder why . . .

Thread 1 How often should I mark a subject's books. Every two week? 3 weeks? Slowly marking them? Or cramming them all in at the holidays? Thanks x

Thread 2 Hey, I've just completed my PGCE on Primary Education and I was just wondering what happens in an induction year. Is it the same as a NQT year? Are you assessed. All details, would be AMAZING. Thanks in advanced. x

Elsewhere young anon asks:

Thread 3 What do/ can you do on Teacher Training Days?

Thread 4 How do I become a head of a department? Do you have to have a degree in the subject? Do you get more money?(you may think I'm greedy- but I'm just interested.) Do I have to plan extra things aswell as my own classes lessons? Thanks in advance x

Thread 5 How much of the timetable do you teach as a (PGCE) trainee? Is it increased by the number of months you have been a trainee?

Now I could be a cynical old baldie and say that with this quality of student graduating from PGCE courses clutching their NQT certificate, no wonder I have on JobSeekers so many unhappy posters saying that they cannot get jobs.

I wouldn't want to employ a NQT like this either.

On the other hand, I might just take Middlemarch's view:

Middlemarch

This person is claiming elsewhere to be a secondary teacher inquiring about how to become a HOD (and elsewhere, how to become a headteacher).

I suspect we have a troll on our hands...

Best wishes

For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

Posted

And some more gems from our recently-finished Primary PGCE-er:

Posted on the Design & Technology Forum:

anon1057
    Can I teach/ have a job in the same school I did my training/ GTP at? Thanks

Posted on the GTP Forum:

anon1057
    Hey, I have just graduated a physics (BSc) degree in Birmingham university. I am interested in Primary GTP (for a number of reasons) and I was just wondering the structure of it. Is it different to primary PGCE? Is it different to secondary GTP? How long is it? thanks. X

Just graduated BSc Physics? Thought you'd just finished your Primary Pgce . . . before getting a GTP post in DT . . .

Best wishes

Posted