Class structure for next year - parents on the war path.

TES Headteacher - Forum

Join other headteachers and talk about the challenges of the role in the TES Headteacher Group. This is the place to get advice from your peers on all aspects of school management including dealing with governors and parents.

Members 2060 Total Posts 12763

Class structure for next year - parents on the war path.

The way things are on the site , not sure if I'll get a reply this evening but hope some of you kind folks are out there....

Well it's that same old chestnut, whatever you decide about class arrangements you are going to upset somebody! ( we are a small school with mixed aged classes and I gave details of classes 3 weeks ago)

Can't go into too many details but my decision was based on needs and attainment levels in a number of year groups. Class sizes are equal but slightly different arrangement from last year.

I'm expecting at least 1 of the 2 parents who have been trying to drum up support in the playground tomorrow morning. I have no problem with my decision but wondered how others have handled this one in the past. Give details? Tell them that I cannot give details but decision made in best interests of the children? 

I've tried screaming and banging my head against the wall - in private - wasn't that helpful. I have full support of governors. 

Any advice.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Sorry we all missed this last night, hope it went ok this morning.  

At the end of the day you have obviously thought these things through long and hard, and yes I would have gone over the 'best interests of ALL the children' route, then added how this would support/extend their own particular child (as that is what they are really fretting about - not that the decision has been made but that their prince/princess maybe isn't quite where they thought they were)

Posted

You are the professional and you have done it in the best interests of the children.  They can complain if they are not happy (or remove their children and move them to another school).

I am going through the same thing - I gave full details when I advised the parents (no names) and explained why I was doing it,  I have had a couple of parents in for reassurance.

Stick to your guns otherwise they will have won!

Posted

Thank you both, some good advice and comfort to know that I'm not alone! I'm going to try not to obsess about this overnight.

I'm certainly not going to change my mind, in fact I've had more expressions of support than not from parents, I just could live without it all. Hey ho, only a few more days to go!

Posted

You can't let the parents make the decisions or even force your hand. If you do, the floodgates will open.

Equally, you can't go into the details of the reasoning as that would involve discussing other people's children with the awkward squad. You could explain with a winning smile to these complainers that you have much more information about the whole situation than they have, and that they need to trust your professionalism in getting things right for all the children; and if they really don't like the outcome, you'll be happy to help them with filling in the forms to change school, which you just happen to have available......

Posted

Thanks Skeoch, spot on.

Well I said I'd try not to obsess yet here I am, gone midnight, as I got fed up with lying in bed going over and over it all in my head.

Tell me you get to the stage where you can walk away from school and leave it behind...

Posted

Well, it has been an interesting morning. No sign of the parent I was expecting, even though she has phoned the school on a separate matter this morning. Have dealt with the other parents who emailed, but refused to come in to discuss the matter with me.

I have however dealt with a sit down protest from a group of children!! I am going to speak to their parents but need to simmer down first. I have evidence that it was instigated by the child whose parent has yet to speak to me at all, but am waiting for advice from the NAHT about whether to speak to her about what I know or not.

Stacking shelves at tesco is once again looking extremely tempting!

Posted

Are you disciplining the children involved?  I certainly would.

Posted

Oh yes, most certainly!

Posted

Hopefully you have now got to the end of term and have enjoyed more than a glass of something cold and strong.... September is a fresh start! It is also a time when it is easier to leave it at school! Enjoy the summer hols!

Posted

Thanks jellandy.

Well I can say that this has probably been the longest 3 weeks of my life! I have had my patience and resilience tested beyond anything I thought I could manage.

I am cross with myself as I know I have not been as politically astute as I should, and have reacted far more with my heart than head. Those around me have been incredibly supportive  and keep telling me everything is fine and I shouldn't let this end spoil what has been a successful year but I know it's going to take a while and quite a bit of wine before I can regain my equilibrium.

I'm hoping that the summer break will give me some perspective and time to work on thickening my skin.

Here's to us all , we made it.

Posted