A' level history without GCSE....

TES History - Forum

The TES History group is a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where history teachers go to debate the latest issues in history teaching.

Members 1702 Total Posts 3509

A' level history without GCSE....

Please could you advise if it is possible for a student to take A'level History without first obtaining the GCSE?

Have you taught any students in this situation?

I am asking on behalf of a year 11 student who knows he made an error in GCSE selection by not choosing History. He is interested in History out of school and sits at the top end of his year academically.

Many thanks

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Definitely, I have taught quite a few students in this situation. We usually require them to have a good English grade (which sounds ok with your student)  and the content it not usually a problem because the A Level does not require knowing the 'stuff' of GCSE. They usually have to do a bit of extra work getting up to speed on source work but if they are enthusiastic this is not a problem. I have had students who have gone on to do extremely well at A Level...and as we always say 'we welcome repentent sinners!!'

Posted

Thank you for your reply. It is helpful. (Repentent sinner..ha ha Big Smile)

Posted
    Have to agree, I have had an AS student this year who had not studied History at GCSE. She is on track to get an A for the Henry paper. She is also studying English Lit at AS and has accomplished written style which helps. I have to admit I also enjoyed the fact that she didn't lazily fall back on the B word which too many of our GCSE students do when looking at the sources for the AS module. I have to say though that it has taken a lot of time to convince those doing English at AS that plans for their essays need not to be crossed out at the end!
    Posted

I will accept students without GCSE history for A level and IB, I generally interview them and will look for enthusiasm, a love of reading (or at least willingness to read widely)  and a good English GCSE. One of my highest achieving students last year skipped GCSE History. 

Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I shall forward the advice on.

Posted