How hard is it to get a job teaching History?

TES History - Forum

The TES History group is a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where history teachers go to debate the latest issues in history teaching.

Members 1622 Total Posts 3452

How hard is it to get a job teaching History?

I am currently a 'mature student' studying for a History degree with the OU, having finally found something I enjoy learning about, and have a real passion for. My plan is to finish my degree and then apply for a PGCE course locally for a year, then teach History at secondary level. Far into the future I would then perhaps be looking at working at a Uni or college.

I have heard a lot about how over-subscribed History jobs are, and how difficult it is to get a position. I have done some research on job sites and there do seem to still be quite a few jobs around, so how difficult is it in reality?

I live in Stoke, so have a wide range of possible locations within an hour or so of me (Manchester, Birmingham, Cheshire, Derby etc), so I wouldn't be inflexible with only looking for local jobs etc.

Thanks for your help!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    I live in a rural area so the opportunities are less, i also work in FE so the opportunities are less again.
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply