ICT jobs - where have they gone?

TES ICT and computing - Forum

Join hundreds of ICT teachers in the TES ICT and Computing group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 4942 Total Posts 34353

ICT jobs - where have they gone?

Is it my imagination or has the number of ICT jobs dried up all of a sudden? I counted 6 ICT jobs in today's TES - a record low for this time of year? This was combined with a meeting today in which our Head of Department announced that GCSE ICT will not after all appear in this year's options for year 9, although functional skills as an option is being offer - executive decision with which he doesn't agree. Wow. That came from nowhere. That's a lot of teacher-hours just gone splat. I think I need a new job (someone has to go? I was going to start looking anyway.

Anyone know of any ICT jobs anywhere between Hastings and Canterbury? Nice person, 4 year's ICT teaching experience, computing degree, can spell sentences and do sums in my head, doesn't pick nose in public.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

mossonbrick
    Anyone know of any ICT jobs anywhere between Hastings and Canterbury? Nice person, 4 year's ICT teaching experience, computing degree, can spell sentences and do sums in my head, doesn't pick nose in public.

..... there's only Ashford between Hastings and Canterbury ?

Some people have posted about the difficulty of getting ICT staff in the SE, but you may need to be a bit more flexible.

Posted

I need to stay in the area for my family and love living by the sea. I could probably go to Eastbourne if I had to, or up to Margate. There are schools around Fokestone, Dover, Ashford, Rye, Hastings, Margate etc No one is being made redundant today so I am not desperate this week, but then again, today is Friday and next week is a new week. Best to start looking now I think. Why has ICT gone 'pop'?

Posted

Because it's being dropped from the NC?

Posted

I can say with confidence that yes, ICT teaching jobs are rarer than a free school.

Posted

I think a number of schools are taking it out of the core due to the English Baccalaureate, making room elsewhere for humanities and MFL in the core.

Posted

My last University and GTP providers have indicated that all course will be no longer supported as the current state of affairs with the Government have given zero time and consideration to this.

I think they are magically expecting all pupils across the country to train themselves at home in all aspects of IT so they are equipped for Further Education with a wave of a magic wand.  Either way the future is bleak unfortunately and wish all those in the Subject well.  If you manage to keep your job hopefully the Government will see the light but with zero funding and zero commitment from Headteachers it is not looking good.  By cutting the budgets and ommission from relevant curriculum discussions Headteachers are already making some teachers redundant by "cutting hours" etc.  In the West Midlands 5 jobs disappeared in 4 weeks let alone jobs available!  GTP students were told no longer any positions and NQTs virtually jobless from the day they walked on to the course.

Mind you who needs computers anyway? Anyone can understand, program and develop them cant they? Foolish of me to think there is a need for this subject anymore....

Posted

mistag
    Mind you who needs computers anyway? Anyone can understand, program and develop them cant they? Foolish of me to think there is a need for this subject anymore....

ICT doesn't teach children to understand, program and develop. Mostly it teaches trivial office and presentation skills.

Posted
    You clearly don't see as many ICT lessons as I do. Certainly league tables and a "market" for qualifications has turned ICT into "MS Office skills" in many schools but this is rather like maths in primary schools being largely displaced by "sums" posing as "numeracy". Neither is inherent in the subject or in it's articulation - simply a manifestation of an obsession with league tables and political interference. ICT and computing are areas being rapidly developed by almost all advanced economies skilling up and "cluing in" citizens as both critical users and more specialized creators of systems. Our current trajectory is simply a result of a political obsession with retreating 50 years to a time when the curriculum was "rigorous", discipline was "firm but fair" and children walked to school in short trousers with pockets full of conkers. Basically Gove's Boys Own vision of education as he thinks he remembers it. Now we face sinking into economic obscurity as the Tory education department basks in the sepia glow of what they conveniently imagine to be "the good old days". You can ignore the future - but the future won't ignore you!
    Posted

!

Posted

autismuk

'ICT doesn't teach children to understand, program and develop. Mostly it teaches trivial office and presentation skills.'

They're not trivial.

Posted

What is the future of Cambridge National ICT?  I'm guessing this will come to an end!

Posted

An 18 month old thread? Really?

Posted