How do I draw a scaled grid over a map?

TES ICT and computing - Forum

Join hundreds of ICT teachers in the TES ICT and Computing group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 5412 Total Posts 36237

How do I draw a scaled grid over a map?

I am trying to solve the query below for a colleague. If I have a Google base map and want to draw a grid over the top, with grid squares being 100m x 100m as in the key, how can I do it? Basically, how can I draw a standard sized grid that can then be copied and overlaid on other maps without having to draw each line individually? I have tried Word using a table with the image of the map behind it but adjusting the column widths and height widths requires a lot of tweaking and it is hard to get an accurate grid to scale. Can anyone offer a suggestion? Thanks if you can help
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Scaling is going to be your issue - how big is 100m going to be on the screen?

I think I'd draw a rectangle in Word, and adjust the properties do that it's the appropriate size. Make it transparent (i.e. "no fill"), copy and paste, and group. That way it'll be easy to re-size it for maps of different scales.  You could also have lines of different thicknesses and colours, and dashed or dotted lines if you do it that way.

Alternatively, you could use something like Google image search to find a grid, and then use the Office transparency tools (or a graphics application) to make the squares transparent.

Posted

In word 2003, ensure your drawing toolbar is available.  

Click 'Draw' and select 'Grid'

adjust your parameters as necessary

Ensure 'Snap to' options are not selected.

Ensure 'Display Gridlines on Screen' is selected

Your grid should now appear.  If your map hides the grid, ensure you change layout in 'Format Picture' options of the map to 'Behind Text'

Hope that helps. 

Posted
    Is the map part of the UK? If so, why not use a digital OS map? Now widely available in schools at no charge, and the grid is already in place.
    Posted

If you use Google Earth instead, you can then use the freeware tool GE-Pathwhich draws grids - given two (southing/northing) points - and lots of other stuff

Posted