Introduction to computers SOW ks3

TES ICT and computing - Forum

Join hundreds of ICT teachers in the TES ICT and Computing group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers.

Members 4951 Total Posts 34371

Introduction to computers SOW ks3

I put together a terms worth of work, focusing on the basics: ios devices, what are computers, interal hardware, binary and how a CPU works. It includes self assessment sheets and worksheets. The self assessment sheets are leveled but not based on NC more tried to focus on blooms taxonomy and the development of literacy based answers to prepare pupils for the gcse. I still have to put on the last two lessons and the sow which I will do tomorrow if I have time Positive critical feedback is welcome http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Intro-to-computers-Lesson-1-6289945/
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

I like Lesson 4! I do wonder how long the starter would take though.  I'd also change the "poster" main to writing their own messages for others in the group to decode - if it was done through a spreadsheet where you'd set up the cells and locked a few cells it could even check itselfso when they e-mail to friends there's assessed feedback based on completion of task. 

I'll definitely be stealing some ideas for our Computer Hardware unit (though ours is in Year 8, it seems from the above that you do this unit in Y9 as prep for GCSE?) I drew parallels with the old OCR GCSE B course =)

Posted

Thanks.  There are some interesting ideas in there, although I think you might need to check that students don't get confused between binary and ASCII in lesson 4.  I might be tempted to move the ASCII into a separate lesson on how things like pictures, sounds and text are all represented as numbers inside the computer.

I take a more academic/mathematical approach to binary, but maybe there's a happy medium in combining bits of both:

http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Number-Bases-6290095/

I don't work in a mainstream school, though, so you might find the activities are a bit short.  They seem to be effective, though.

Posted
    I really like the spreadsheet idea, we actually do the scheme of work towards the end of year 7. Pupils start a level 2 course here in year 9 and then may do gcse in year 11. We don't focus very clearly on ASCII and keep it quite simple. Its been a learning curve for the department trying to introduce computer science. Jaques - some great binary resources there wish I had seen them before making this, would have nicked a good chunk.
    Posted
    intro to ASCII here if you want it: http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/The-ASCII-Alphanumeric-Code-6294855/requestAction/add/
    Posted