* * * Possible interview questions * * *

TES Jobseekers - Forum

Head to the TES Jobseekers group to get expert advice on finding your next job. We’ve got tips on application writing and guidance on how to excel at interview. Plus get your questions answered live online by our experienced head Theogriff.

Members 6760 Total Posts 46933
Please enter a number between 1 and 3 Page of 3 »

* * * Possible interview questions * * *

Dear JobSeekers, we have tidied up this thread so that now it contains interview questions, without the Bumps. Hope it is helpful. However, don't get too carried away with learning off reams of interview question answers; see the thread *** Interview Tips *** for advice on tackling interview preparation.

Best wishes. TheoGriff February 2010.

On another Forum, Joe Blair said the following:

We got an expert to put together some interview questions for a teacher position. They are aimed at primary schools, but might still be useful if you are at a secondary.

Suitability to the role
    Why did you apply for this particular role?
    Why did you choose to teach this particular age range?
    What are your core strengths?
    What are your weaknesses?
    What can you bring to the role that other candidates may not bring?

The school and staff
    What makes a successful school?
    What importance do you attach to co-operation with colleagues, such as those who are teaching parallel classes?
    How would you cope with a lack of enthusiasm from colleagues?
    What is your impression of the school/organisation?
    How do you feel about parent helpers in the classroom?
    How would you work with a teaching assistant in your classroom?
    Do you find it difficult working alongside older, more experienced staff?
    What is the most difficult piece of feedback you have ever had to give, and why?
    How would you react if a senior member of staff queried or criticised some aspect of your teaching?

Teaching and learning
    What is your understanding of high-quality teaching and learning?
    Describe a good lesson
    Describe a lesson that did not go well. What were the reasons for this?
    If I came into your classroom, what would I see?
    Describe the teaching method you find most effective
    How would you organise teaching and learning for a mixed-age group?
    Do you differentiate between outcome or task?
    What are the important things to consider when setting up a classroom?

Ensuring progress
    What assessment strategies would you use?
    How do you ensure all children are involved?
    How do you assess and record your children's progress?
    How would you motivate a reluctant child?
    How would you meet the needs of gifted and talented children in the class?
    Have you had experience of a very high attaining and very low attaining child in your class?
    Tell us about your experience of assessment for learning and assessment of learning
    If a child doesn't show signs of improvement after all your planning, monitoring, assessing etc, what do you do next?
    What strategies do you use to manage children with special educational needs?

Behaviour management
    What behaviour management policies have you experienced, and what do you consider as having been effective?
    How would you deal with a pupil who is not co-operating?
    How would you deal with a disruptive child?
    What do you think is the best way to motivate pupils?
    Some people say you should demand respect from children. Do you agree or disagree, and why?
    What do you understand by the term 'providing support' for the pupil?
    Bullying is often a serious issue that has to be dealt with in all areas of work with children. In your experience, what is the best way to deal with it?
    Child protection issues
    Have you ever felt uncomfortable about a colleague's behaviour towards children in a previous job?
    What were your concerns, what did you do, and how was the issue resolved?
    Safeguarding children is an important part of our work. Can you give me same examples of how you would contribute to making the organisation a safer environment for children?
    Tell me about a time when a child or young person behaved in a way that caused you concern. How did you deal with that? Who else did you involve?
    Why do you want to work with children? What do you think you have to offer? Give an example of how children have benefited from contact with you.
    How did your previous organisation tackle child protection?

Career development
    How will you develop yourself as a professional teacher?
    What is your understanding of effective performance management?
    What are your plans for the future?
    How would you like to see your career develop?
    Are you prepared to go on courses?
    How long do you expect to stay here?
    Would you aim to widen your experience by seeking posts in other schools after a reasonable period here?

Many thanks, Joe, from all at JobSeekers!

Posted
    This post is locked, you cannot replyReply

Brilliant. Thanks. I've printed them up and they are on my pinboard, to mull over until the interview.

Posted

I have also printed these out too-thanks for posting them on here. :-)

Posted
    TheoGriff
    On another Forum, Joe Blair said the following:

We got an expert to put together some interview questions for a teacher position. They are aimed at primary schools, but might still be useful if you are at a secondary.

Suitability to the role
    What are your weaknesses?

Is it just me, or is this a trick question? What are the interviewers actually looking for in this question? Is it the case that they want honesty?

Posted

Well, they quite like a weakness that could be seen as a strength or one that they can relate to. . .

Expecting too much of yourself,  getting a bit behind with your paperwork . . . but say in both cases how you deal with this, before they ask you! 

Or one that is unrelated to teaching - bad at parking.   But that's cheating and they may push you for a professional one.

Posted

These questions are great! Is there a similar list available for an interview for key stage 2 phase leader post? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted

I think that it would be pushing it a bit to expect specific questions for KS2!  But you could do a search on SMT (try interview questions) for general management and leadershop questions.

And do the same search on Primary.

Best of luck!

Posted

Got a question I didn't really get at the time of the interview and still not sure the best way of answering. It was 'What would formal assessment look like in your class?' am an NQT and only formal assessment I did was grading some literacy work. Anyone got any ideas the best way of answering this?

Posted

I am drunk (as I have been for the past two days) so apologies if I missed this from the list but the question I have been asked at three interviews out of goodness knows how many is, "How would you deal with an irate/difficult parent?" Just one extra question to consider.  I wish all those who are currently jobseeking the very best of luck; I know how exhausting, soul destroying and demeaning it can all be.

Posted

At one interview I was asked what my favourite cartoon is. I can honestly say that threw me initially but I soon bounced back with an answer - didn't get the job though Stick out tongue

Posted

Wow soooo helpful.  Extremely glad I found these questions.  Got me thinking already. Hope some of these come up in my interview.

Thanks alot for these!!

Posted

Had two interview in last two weeks, these are the questions that came up for me:

1st interview-

*Tell us about yourself?

*What could you offer us as a school, and what would you want from us as a school?

*How would you deal with bad behaviour in your class?

*Do you think it is important to involve children in school activities/decisions?  If yes, why?

*How would you involve parents in school?

*What would we see if we came into your classroom?

*What forms of assessment do you use in your classroom?

*Tell us about an effective lesson- What is was?  Why it was was good?  What would you have changed?

* Why do you want to work at this school?

* Where do you see yourself in five years?

* What roles would you take responsibility for in the school either now or in the future?

* What would you consider your strongest skill you could bring to this school?

2nd interview - I had to analyse data for 20 minutes prior to interview so some of that was discussed, so not all these questions will be relevant. I had to level a piece of child's writing, obsevre and note strengths and weaknesses and set targets, then had to analyse a years data for school and percentages of levels in each subject, school and national comparisons.

* Tell us about yourself

* What could you offer to this school - skills, subject knowledge etc?

*What do you think to the idea of parents being stake holders in school and why do you think this is important?

*If you had some poorly behaved children in your class, what would you do about it?

*What interactions have you had with parents, positive or negative?

* How would you handle an angry parent? How would you handle a concerned parent?

* What do you understand in terms of APP(assessing pupils progress)?  What do you think would be the benfits of APP for the child?

* If you were to get the post, how would you prepare for September?

* If i was to walk into your classroom on the first day of term with your new class, what would i see?

* What would i see in your classroom?

*Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

* What co-ordinators role would you prefer and which subject do you feel you could offer us the best knowledge in?

* Data questions -

What level would you give this child's writing?

What did you notice as the child's strengths and weaknesses?

What targets would you set for this child?

Looking at the school data, what could you interpret from it?  What are we doing well at?  What are our strengths and weaknesses? 

Thats all i can remember for moment... I will add more if i can think of any they asked.  I got the job at the 2nd interview.  Message me if you would like any more help or advice about it.

Lesley :) Good luck everyone

Posted

Questions I was asked during my 1st interview of 2  I did yesterday:

1. What do you know about the national curriculum?

2. What do you know about the PNS? How do you use the PNS?

3. What do you think of parents helping in their child's class?

4. What style of behaviour management do you like to use? How does this look in your classoom?

5. How would you deal with issues with colleagues (sp?)? i.e. people can rub each other up the wrong way.

6. What do you see your role as in the school team?

7. What type of person are you?

8. What do you like to do with your spare time?

9. What are your interests within teaching?

10. How do you keep up to date with the latest education news?

11. What do you know and think about the Rose Review? *Thank goodness I skimmed that the night ebfore my interview!*

There were others but these are the main ones can think of at the moment!

Posted

After 10 Applications, 3 interviews finally got a job.  Here were my questions

1) Why teaching? why this school?

2) What AfL do you use in your class?

3) How would you discribe an outstanding lesson in your subject?

4) its friday afternoon, its raining, you have year 9 period 5.  There's been a fight, how do you deal with this?

5) little Johny still refusing to work - how do you deal with him?

A few more but cant think now.

Going over the questions does help!  thanks to all who have posted.  Good Luck to you all x

Posted

Well done Finchy!

You're a Star!  A Sparkling Star!

Posted

Here you are - a whole goldmine full of interview questions to ponder.

Best of luck.

Posted
    Thank you so much for this! It has saved me so much time. Now I just need to come up with some answers! J
    Posted

Have been in a dream like state - hasn't sunk in - since Monday after a successful interview for a permanent contract and being very good and waiting until holidays start tomorrow to celebrate! Party!!! - Thanks Theo! your advice on these boards has been wonderful!

here are the questions I was asked - as best as I can recall the wording

How would I manage and teach composite classes effectively?

How would I ensure depth of learning?

How would I promote and sustain positive behaviour?

How would I develop and take the school forward regarding GLOW?

Posted

http://virtualhug.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/shiny-star.gif

Engelz, you're a star, a sparkly star!

Hope you are just as excited when you start the job.  "Holidays start tomorrow" - where in the world are you?

Posted

ooooooo thank you! I have yearned for a sparkly star for so long :)

I am in South Ayrshire - October break begins tomorrow.  I was temping and contract ends tomorrow, now? I know I am not unemployed but going on October break.... such a relief!

Posted