Aaaah interview today what a bunch of time wasters!

TES Jobseekers - Forum

Head to the TES Jobseekers group to get expert advice on finding your next job. We’ve got tips on application writing and guidance on how to excel at interview. Plus get your questions answered live online by our experienced head Theogriff.

Members 6050 Total Posts 43034

First I was super-duper prepared THEY WERE NOT!!!

first, teaching assistants talking to student about what they will be doing when they get home and rolling her eyes when I asked the kids to do a task…that was not really a problem, come across teaching assistants that can be like that all the time and got the students back on track anyway.

Then lesson was 30 mins not 40 (excuse me you told me to plan for a 40 minute lesson not a 30 minute lesson grrrr) yes I adapted to that also.

But you have not heard the worst of it Head teacher answering phone during interview whilst I was answering a question…then when he came of the phone he rudely said “you might want to look that up” WHAT were you even listening!

The other 2 interviewing  me also answered their phones. What happened to a designated person for phone calls on interview days or only taking emergency phone calls.

Then he watched his clock all the way through the interview which is very off-putting and rude I later found out that my interview was schedule before a review meeting so he had tried to fit my interview in a 30 minute slot.

I almost forgot to add that they over run so could not make my other interview.

Absolute time wasting.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    sorry dont know why text is all differt sizes
    Posted
    OH NO! Well, it doesn't sound like the kind of place you'd want to work in anyway if they can't even get their act together for interviews! It is as much about them selling the school as a good place to work as it is for you to sell yourself.
    Posted

desmareedg

Haven't got any particular words of comfort but perhaps you've had a lucky escape. What must it be like to work for such people?

Posted

i am actually thinking it was a little funny now. The lady said to me when leaving " we have a few interviews later so we will not get back to you until the evening or tomorrow" I wanted to say dont worry i won't be waiting by the phone :-)

Posted

desmareedg
    I am actually thinking it was a little funny now. 

Glad to see you can now see a funny side to it.

Posted

I've usually conducted interviews in a meeting room so that they cannot be interrupted by a phone - but had I been, I'd have picked up the receiver, put it down and then pulled the phone extension out of the wall.  It's rudeness beyond belief to answer the phone during an interview.

The former Mr Middlemarch was not a teacher, but was once interviewed for a post in his field in one of the snobbier London authorities.  He was last to be interviewed and the previous interview over-ran so that he was over an hour late going in to an interview which, for the other candidates, has lasted at least 40 minutes.

When he finally sat down, the director of service who was chairing the three-person panel said to Mr M 'I've only got 15 minutes as I've got a plane to catch...', proceeded to ask him the first three questions and then said, 'Right, that's all we've got time for.'

Mr M simply got up and walked out without saying a word to any of them.  I'd have had something to say if it had been me in there.

Posted

Just quickly how do you quote what someone else has said on this forum then reply...you know the little white box?

'I've only got 15 minutes as I've got a plane to catch...',

:-) it was almost like he had a plane to catch. i had 30  minutes for 10 questions, with him watching the clock and answering the phone...i did say something suttle... he asked if i had any questions i said "yes but you are busy" then the deputy and assistant said that it was fine they would stay and listen to my questions and he went. They say that you can decide whether somone is right for the post instantly but i think at least be polite since people coming to an interview have used many hours to prepare. Its fine anyway on to the next!

Posted
    Like this?

desmareedg

Just quickly how do you quote what someone else has said on this forum then reply...you know the little white box?

'I've only got 15 minutes as I've got a plane to catch...',

Answer :click on reply and when the post shows above yours in blue, use mouse to highlight the desired phrase and then click the Quote option at the bottom of the post.

Posted

Lara mfl 05
    Answer :click on reply and when the post shows above yours in blue, use mouse to highlight the desired phrase and then click the Quote option at the bottom of the post.

Posted

Well done desmareedg! Another skill you've just learnt.

Posted

That is really, really bad.

I cannot BELIVE that they answered the phone during an interview!  Well done to you for carrying on to the end - you can polish your halo that you, at least, were courteous.

My interview horror story is when I was being interviewed for the post of principal of a FE College.  There were 4 candidates, one of whom was the Vice-Principal.  There was a whole day of activities - carousel interviews, visiting different parts of the College, etc.  Between our activities we were sent to wait in the office of the Pastoral Head.  (Except for the V-P, who went to his office). 

But the Pastoral Head was using her office the whole time we other 3 were in there - making confidential phonecalls to Social Services, interviewing students about a whole range of disciplinary and personal problems.  Goodness knows what the students thought when they came in to discuss their drinking problem, or their possible involvement in the graffiti on library books, to see the three of us sitting on uncomfortable wooden chairs in the corner of the room.

Your experience of phonecalls during the actual interview beats that, however! 

Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February

www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

Posted
    She's not the only one. An interview before Christmas - half way through the phone rang and rang, totally putting me off my answer. Eventually the head got up, picked up the phone and went outside the office to answer it. One of the interviewers said that must have been off putting! No sh*t Sherlock was my thought but I didn't say it. Interview I had last week the head yawned consistently while I was answering the questions. I must have been really boring....... I didn't get the job! So 2 out of 3 interview I have had included poor practice and bad manners. Doesn't bode well does it!!!!
    Posted

susiec08
    Interview I had last week the head yawned consistently while I was answering the questions. I must have been really boring.......

Big Smile it like there is a slight taking advantage of us because we need/ want a job.

I did not get the job either what a surprise.

Posted

I think my worst one was where they called me by the wrong first name (first letter the same but that was about it!).

I didn't realise at first as there were a few of us so thought they were talking to/about someone else. I was too shocked to say anything when I realised.

Didn't get the job but I think I had a lucky escape!

Posted

Absolutely shocking. I don't think you would have wanted the job even if you got it!!

The last interview I attended was for FE as a lecturer. It was so different to school interviews. I was set a task to write a lesson plan. There were clear instructions on their template to write the learning objective and then the differentiated outcomes as All Most Some.  Easy I thought as it is something I'd had drilled into me throughout the PGCE.

The interviewer (head of fe dpt) decided to give me some feedback on my lesson plan. It went like this...

"I am not sure why you have used all, most and some. If you set a learning objective then all students should achieve it, there should not be any differences in what the students achieve during the lesson"

Slightly amused, I questioned why differentiation was not necessary when the task had clearly stated that some students were entry level and some were level 1. He said that all students should achieve the same level of learning. I also asked why the template specifically said to differentiate, for which he could only reply "well we would need to give you some extra training".

Funnily enough the other candidate had done the same thing on her plan (she was actually FE trained unlike me). She ended up having a full blown argument with him over it. Quite funny on reflection.

I promptly withdrew at that point. It was too far to drive everyday anyway and I really didn't think I could work for someone who had no idea about differentiation but had managed to secure a hod role. I noticed the particular FE college has a huge turnover of staff, it advertised new jobs daily unlike more local colleges to me who rarely advertise.

Posted