Applying for a job whilst on maternity leave

TES Jobseekers - Forum

Head to the TES Jobseekers group to get expert advice on finding your next job. We’ve got tips on application writing and guidance on how to excel at interview. Plus get your questions answered live online by our experienced head Theogriff.

Members 6791 Total Posts 47119

Applying for a job whilst on maternity leave

Hi

I am currently on maternity leave but I'm due back at the end of May. I have seen a job I wish to apply for beginning in September and I can't see any reason why I shouldn't apply. Also, I would have completed 14 wks back at my current school so wouldn't need to repay maternity pay (that does count during the holidays doesn't it?) Should I mention that I am on maternity leave as I don't think it has any impact on availability to take up the post. would it stand against me that I haven't been teaching since last academic year?

Thanks.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Q1  No expert on maternity pay and the conditions et by the local authority, so you should contact the HR devision and ask

Q2  Yes, be up-front about it.  It shouldn't go against you.

Q3  Not if you write a good enough application!  We have advice for you on here.

Try this for size:

Dear Theo: Cover Letter..

Big hug to that new baby!

Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply