Temporary contract - do i ask about jobs for september?

TES Jobseekers - Forum

Head to the TES Jobseekers group to get expert advice on finding your next job. We’ve got tips on application writing and guidance on how to excel at interview. Plus get your questions answered live online by our experienced head Theogriff.

Members 6529 Total Posts 45735

Temporary contract - do i ask about jobs for september?

Hi, I am currently working at a school where I would love to continue but I am on a temporary contract. I started there just over a year ago on a maternity contract which for various reasons has been extended every term since. I would really like to stay there and know there are vacancies going - two which have been advertised and 1 which has not yet been advertised. I have not applied for the advertised positions as I did apply for a job at the school last year and went through the interview process, which I found really difficult and so I would rather not do it again.

My question is, should I approach the head and ask if there is any possibility of a job in September or should I assume not unless told otherwise. I have been applying for jobs just in case and now have an interview next Wednesday but I don't want to accept if there is a possibility I could stay where I am.

Just wanted to know others opinions or others who have been in this situation and what did they do?

Thanks

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

tiggerific1989
    I would really like to stay there and know there are vacancies going - two which have been advertised and 1 which has not yet been advertised. I have not applied for the advertised positions as I did apply for a job at the school last year and went through the interview process, which I found really difficult and so I would rather not do it again.

My question is, should I approach the head and ask if there is any possibility of a job in September or should I assume not unless told otherwise.

Warning You're not going to like what I have to say but .  . 

You need to start applying.  You should have already applied for the 2 advertised posts at your school. How is a school to know you'd be interested in a post if you don't express an interest? ( Many years ago I made the mistake of assuming that a school would point out to me when a post was going to be advertised, which they didn't. Only advertised internally , there were extenuating factors why, and when I spotted it on the noticeboard the closing date had been noon on that day!) Don't assume the school will realise you are looking for a post at your present school just because you've asked for references for those other posts.

Plus you can't expect just to 'get offered' the post without an interview!

So having got the hard words out of the way start looking at all Theo's superb advice at the start of this forum. Especially advice about interviews. You're only going to get better by doing them.

Wishing you all the very best with those applications.

Posted

Hullo there Tigger, and welcome to our forum.  Really difficult situation you are in, dying for that permanent post.  Have you got your induction year completed?  I do hope so.

Now have I understood this properly?

• You want a permanent post.
    • There are permanant posts being advertised.
    • You want one of them.
    • But you want them just to give it to you, without you actually applying . . .

I'm sorry, Tigger, it's just not going to happen.  If you want a post there, you're going to have to actually apply for it. 

A school can just give a post to anyone.  But it causes ructions often if they do this, without going through the proper procedures.  They are going through the procedures, and you will have to as well, if you want a job.

Read the shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread to get some tips, and start applying!  We are here on this forum to support you through it all, promise!

Best wishes.

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

Posted

TheoGriff
    We are here on this forum to support you through it all, promise!

Despite the hard words we are. Really.

Posted

Thanks for the advice. The reason I struggle with applying is because of having previously applied and gone through interview while on a temporary contract there. I completely crumbled when I walked and the interview panel were people I knew. But I guess if that's what I need to do I will have to get over my fear!

In response to Theo, yes I managed to complete my induction year this Easter, thanks to the school keeping me on, as when I started I thought I would get only 1 term completed. I have been on this forum previously last year before I got this current contract so I know there is a lot of help on here!

Posted

tiggerific1989
    I completely crumbled when I walked and the interview panel were people I knew. But I guess if that's what I need to do I will have to get over my fear!

Accepting that means you're on the way to overcoming that. That interview was then. The next interview won't come as quite such a shock and you'll be prepared.

Remember Theo's advice about really selling yourself as if they didn't know you. 

And congratulations on getting that induction completed.

Posted