GCSE MATHS EDEXCEL LINEAR BOUNDARIES

TES Mathematics - Forum

Join hundreds of maths teachers in the TES Maths group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place to go to debate the latest issues in maths teaching.

Members 5242 Total Posts 49302
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

GCSE MATHS EDEXCEL LINEAR BOUNDARIES

GCSE Mathematics Grade Boundaries 1380 – June 2010

A*    A    B     C      D     E      F     G
    1380 1F                           75    60    45    31    17
    1380 2F                           78    63    48    34    20
    1380 3H    89    69    49    30    18    12        
    1380 4H    90    72    54    36    21    13        

A*      A       B     C        D      E     F      G
    1380F                               153    123    94    65    36
    1380H    176    141    103    66     39     25        

Grades for GCSE on the Higher tier papers are set by examiners at A, C and D by looking at the work of candidates and using statistical evidence. Once that has been done, the boundaries for grade B are set to be midway between A and C. A* is then calculated arithmetically so that the boundary for grade A falls midway between those for A* and B.

The percentages of students gaining each grade is thus set for A to E, but the QCA Code of Practice allows us to adjust the overall A* boundary in the light of statistical evidence to maintain standards over time. The examiners decided that a boundary of 179 would not have given a consistent percentage of A* grades this year, so it was adjusted to 176 to allow 4.8% of A* grades (in line with the figure for last summer).
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Here's the same for OCR linear

GCSE Mathematics A thresholds (J512 - linear) - June 2010

..............A*....A....B.....C.....D.....E.....F.....G

J512/01.......................67....56....44...33....22

J512/02.......................64....51....39...27....15

J512/03..........63...47...31....18

J512/04..........66...48...31....16

..............A*....A.....B.....C.....D.....E.....F.....G

J512/F........................131..107...83....60....37

J512/H..163...129...95...62....34...20

Posted

languidone
                     A*    A    B     C      D     E      F     G
    1380 1F                           75    60    45    31    17
    1380 2F                           78    63    48    34    20
    1380 3H    89    69    49    30    18    12        
    1380 4H    90    72    54    36    21    13        

A*      A       B     C        D      E     F      G
    1380F                               153    123    94    65    36
    1380H    176    141    103    66     39     25        

No comprendo!

Is the bottom table supposed to be the sum of the figures for those grades/tier from the top table?  If not, where do the figures in the lower table come from?  If they are then why don't they add up right? 

Ta!

Posted

The A* boundary is set by applying a linear formula to the A/B boundaries.   An adjustment (some would call it a fiddle) is then applied to make sure the right percentage of students attain A*.

Posted

So, Naz, it isn't supposed to add up.

Posted

As a point of interest are there ever any figures published that show what percentage of pupils sitting the foundation exam actually managed to get a C grade. I know we are told the overall figures receiving a C grade but I would like to see the figures broken down into those coming from a foundation exam and those from a higher exam.

Posted

DM
    So, Naz, it isn't supposed to add up.

Jolly good!

So you can get an A on the first paper, an A on the second paper and come out with an A* overall?  Something in the water (does not compute)...

Posted
    Posted

DM
    Edexcel got the idea here: [...]

No - this is completely different.  I found the Examiner's Report (on the good ol' Emporium!) - the final paragraph reads:

The percentages of students gaining each grade is thus set for A to E, but the QCA Code of Practice allows us to adjust the overall A* boundary in the light of statistical evidence to maintain standards over time. The examiners decided that a boundary of 179 would not have given a consistent percentage of A* grades this year, so it was adjusted to 176 to allow 4.8% of A* grades (in line with the figure for last summer).

Everyone clear about that?  Good! 

So - if grades rise ... then they rise.  If they would have fallen ... then they are "inconsistent", so they are adjusted to be "in line with previous years".

Posted

ic3g1rl
    As a point of interest are there ever any figures published that show what percentage of pupils sitting the foundation exam actually managed to get a C grade. I know we are told the overall figures receiving a C grade but I would like to see the figures broken down into those coming from a foundation exam and those from a higher exam.

Edexcel used to publish these - I found them for Summer 2005 on the Emporium.  But that was for the old 3-tier exam (still fondly remembered and sadly missed.  Sniff.).

Edexcel no longer appear to produce these ... unless they are accessible via ResultsPlus (or whatever it's called)?  Is it possible to download these as a comparison for your own pupils?

Posted

I'll be using ResultsPlus tomorrow so I will report back. I think from memory it does not separate the Tiers.

The A* boundary jiggle has happened for the last three sittings of the Linear exam and happened back in the past too so is nothing new.

Posted

DM
    The A* boundary jiggle has happened for the last three sittings of the Linear exam and happened back in the past too so is nothing new.

Hold on.  So the fictitious, made-up, fabricated A* boundary this time was created to bring it into line with the results from the previous year ... which were created by using a similarly fictitious grade boundary based on the results from the year before that ... which were also made up?

Posted

Now you are catching on.   Welcome to the world of "rising standards".

Posted

Anyone got Boundaries for Statistics GCSE?

Posted

A* 71

A 58

B 45

C 32

D 23

Foundation C 55

Posted

GoldMaths
    Anyone got Boundaries for Statistics GCSE?

Which awarding body?

I assume that if you do Edexcel you can find them on the Emporium.  Not sure about AQA, though.

Posted

Superb, thanQ

Posted

DM, what I'm really interested in seeing what effect the C grade in the foundation exam has really had. I believe the students have to get at least 85% to gain a C grade, which I would have thought was very difficult for most students sitting the foundation papers. As this is a significant overlap area between the two exam types statistics about the percentage C grades from each exam would be very useful.

Posted

I looked at Results Plus yesterday ic3g1r1 but it does not show the grade contribution from each Tier.

Posted
    Our results were 75.1% A*-C in Maths overall. 36.9% achieved Grade C of these 93.75% were at Foundation and 6.25% at Higher, all the remaining Higher students achieved A*-B. All of the students who looked weak at the Trial and who didn't need or weren't targeted above a C were changed to Foundation tier. I know there is a big debate over this but it has worked for us this year as our results are 10.3% upon last year and 5.1% over the target set by the LT. The 76.5% required to get a C at Foundation doesn't seem to have lost us (m) any passes at C.
    Posted