Past Papers Edexcel GCSE 'B' spec, Unit 3

TES Mathematics - Forum

Join hundreds of maths teachers in the TES Maths group. Find lesson ideas and inspiration, share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also the place to go to debate the latest issues in maths teaching.

Members 4960 Total Posts 48716

Past Papers Edexcel GCSE 'B' spec, Unit 3

Does anyone have a link to a source for past papers?  (Pref. with answers/marking schemes.)

Many thanks!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

They are in the Emporium, which is very easy to get logged on to and to use.  There are so many specs, though, there is 2544 (quite old now), 2381, and then then current one whose name I have forgotten but always looks like the textspeak LMAO!!  For that spec there are no (or virtually no) past papers because it's new, but they have made some sort of practise papers.

This is the link

http://www.edexcelmaths.com/

Posted

DeborahCarol

Does anyone have a link to a source for past papers?  (Pref. with answers/marking schemes.)

All the older specs are now defunct.  They have had their last examination series, so there are a few past papers for those older specs but they are not now going to be examined in future.

The new spec is being examined for the first time this summer.  Units 1&2 have, of course, happened already, so there are past papers for those.  The first U3 exam is 19th June.  There are practice papers, sample assessments, etc, but no actual 'real' past papers. 

To get hold of what does exist you need to get a password for the Edexcel Emporium.  If your school offers any Edexcel maths qualification then this is free and easy to set up.  Google Edexcel Maths Emporium for more.

HTH

Posted

Presuming you want practice papers for the new spec, the only decent exam to come out of edexcel looks to be the 'mock' paper.  They have released some practice papers which are hardly worth the paper they're written on.  Just rehashes of previous exams.

I've invested in some Churchill Maths and ZigZag papers - hopefully these will do the trick whilst we wait for decent stock of past papers to build up (says he making the laughable assumption that this exam will be around for long enough....Sarcastic)

Posted

googolplex

(says he making the laughable assumption that this exam will be around for long enough....Sarcastic)

Haven't we been told for absolute certain that the modular is going?  So, that would be spec B gone...

Posted
    rustybug

googolplex

(says he making the laughable assumption that this exam will be around for long enough....Sarcastic)

Haven't we been told for absolute certain that the modular is going?  So, that would be spec B gone...

I was on an edexcel course last week, run by one of their chief bods, where it was stated categorically that the modular spec would continue to be offered as a linear option ie. all 3 exams in one exam period, alongside the existing linear spec. Quite why anyone would want to do 3 exams as opposed to 2 beats me...
    Posted

googolplex
    rustybug

googolplex

I was on an edexcel course last week, run by one of their chief bods, where it was stated categorically that the modular spec would continue to be offered as a linear option ie. all 3 exams in one exam period, alongside the existing linear spec. Quite why anyone would want to do 3 exams as opposed to 2 beats me...

LOL!  Well I never thought of that!!

I will be very pleased when we ( or should that read "if we ever" ) go to having one spec that sticks around a bit.  Trying to sort out past papers for revision is a nightmare.  Conversations go like this.  "These are the old spec" "Which old spec, the new old spec or the old old spec?"  "No, the spec that Y11 are doing now, that's finishing"

Uuuurrrgggghhhh. 

Posted

I'm tutoring a student who is taking the old spec this summer.

I'm not a school so don't think I can get a password...there again, I do One to One for a school so could perhaps ask!

Posted
    googolplex
    Quite why anyone would want to do 3 exams as opposed to 2 beats me...

Most subjects don't currently have a linear/modular spec decision - they have to do modular specs. Of course some choose to do all the exams at the end of the course so it is, in effect, a linear course.

In Mr Gove's haste to do away with modular there has not been time for awarding bodies (exam boards) to design and have approved new linear courses therefore all these subjects are continuing with modular specs but only allowing students to do exams at the end of the course.

In the consultation process I alerted the government to the fact that this will lead to a real problem of timetabling exams in summer 2014.

Consider a student studying Maths; English; the separate sciences; Geography; History; Business Studies & French - not an especially quirky combination.

These students will have to have around 24 separate exams in the summer 2014 window - all of which will have to be timetabled nationally to avoid significant clashes with the whole massive list of other courses.

I reckon they'll end up having to make 3 exam sittings per day am(1) starting at 9am; am(2) starting at 11am and pm to have any chance of getting them all through!

In terms of EdExcel Maths ... why still do modular? Linear is a 50/50 split between calculator and non-calculator. Running Spec B (the 'modular' spec) has the split 70/30 between calc and non-calc. That may be something that persuades some.

Posted

DeborahCarol

I'm tutoring a student who is taking the old spec this summer.

I thought I final exams for the old spec were taken last week.

Posted
    ColinWilson
    I thought I final exams for the old spec were taken last week.

That is my understanding too.

Posted

Sorry - I meant 'new spec' (B), but modular, not linear.

Posted
    There are two advantages to taking the exams in 3 units. The first is, for students who are weak with non-calculator maths, they can use their calculator for 2 modules which total over half the qualification, and the second advantage is linked to this - when you are teaching Data Handling, and the Unit 3 topics, you can rely on calculator methods and not have to worry about mental or written calculations. I teach a lot of students who are weak with calculations, and are MUCH happier with the calculator units. I will be disappointed if all my local schools switch to linear.
    Posted