Young Voices 2013

TES Music - Forum

The TES Music group is a great source of lesson ideas and inspiration and is the place to share best practice and get your questions answered by your peers. This is also where you go to debate the latest issues in the teaching of music in schools.

Members 2156 Total Posts 14980

Young Voices 2013

...Has anyone been to this event before? How was it?

Looking to take my secondary school choir (mainly Y7 and 8) - hope this is suitable?

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

You might find this thread interesting:

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/490826/6759237.aspx#6759237

Posted

I hated my children being dragged into this. It's a commercial organisation and parents are more or less strong armed into attending and paying large amounts for tickets because they want to see there children in a 'big' event. It's only big because of hundreds of parents put in a similar position! I'd much rather see a decent school concert or play than something like this.

Posted
    We did the O2 young voices in 2011 and it was fab. We LOVED it. Took 30 children aged 7-11. It is quite expensive, but we felt worth the money. There were a lot of schools there that quite clearly hadn't bothered and I doubt they would have got much out of it as they didn't seem to know any of the songs! We worked so hard with ours and they knew all the songs and really really enjoyed it. We have booked for 2013 now. We didn't do the 2012 one as we went to the Albert Hall instead! Hope that helps. I would say 7 years old is probably the minimum age for being able to cope! So years 7 and 8 would be fine :)
    Posted
    Our school took Year 5 and 6 children to the Manchester event for the first time last year and ALL the children and the staff had a fantastic time.The songs covered a wide range of styles so there was something for everyone. We did practice once a week so the children were well rehearsed and could join in with enthusiasm and confidence. Singing with professional musicians and artists is something not many children get the chance to do!  Not many of our parent came to the event but those that did all said that they felt it had been worth every penny. We also put on a concert in school for all the other year groups and the parents who couldn't come with us so nobody missed out. I would recommend that you give it a try.
    Posted

Last night I joined hundreds of other singers for the rehearsal of a massed choir event next week. Any local choir could have been in it, it cost us NOTHING, it was exciting, unusual, and included professional muscicians. There are loads of similar things around that are more special than Young Voices, more local and more meaningful. The charity thing is a sweetener. You could do something else and give all the money you'd have spent on Young Voices to a charity of your choice. I think what I dislike about young voices and their ilk is that they're made out to be better and more worthwhile than all the normal things children do, when as far as I'm concerned it's the ordinary stuff that really matters.

And there are, anyway, masses of opportunities for singers to do all kinds of exciting things. I sing in a very ordinary choir but already this year, as well as last night's event, I've been on the radio several times, been on tour (again, for next to nothing - the opportunities are out there!) as well as lots of concerts in interesting places. My own little children's choir could have sung in York Minster and another local large church. And all free today!

Posted
    As a parent I love Young Voices! My daughter is 8 and has just finished Y3, She was in the choir for the first time this year and did Young Voices. We put a lot of effort into it ourselves - playing the CD through the summer and singing along to the songs together, so she could learn them - and also talking about each of them so she could connect to the lyrics. She was a little frustrated with some of her choir who hadn't put the effort in, but enjoyed the rehearsals. As for the day itself, she found it hard work but very exciting. It was her first time singing with a band, and she found the whole atmosphere exhilarating - she was still buzzing not falling asleep when I picked her up from school after the concert! As for me as a parent - I found the whole event very emotional - I was sobbing part way through it. Music has been such a huge part of my life, through my childhood and beyond, and anything that gets kids singing is great in my book. I do think schools, parents and kids have a responsibility to put the effort in if they're going to take part. But if they do, it is hugely rewarding. I only wish I was still young enough to be taking part, not just in the audience. We received our 2013 CD from school yesterday and have already started learning the songs. We're both excited about starting again with a fresh set of songs :)
    Posted
    Has anyone taken secondary school children to this? I am thinking of taking my year 7-8s but it looks like mainly primary on the website. Would 12 year olds find it too babyish?
    Posted

We found going every other year was the most successful way to keep interest and keep costs down for both school and families.  It is also a big thing to organise within school what with t-shirts, dvds etc and so it eased the workload for staff. 

It is an inspiring event however a logistical nightmare and the more staff you take, the better.  Imagine 3,000 children and teachers all trying to leave a musical arena at the same time!

I would agree with an earlier comment that Year 4 is the minimum age - we had taken Year 3 children before and many were tired and didn't enjoy the last couple of hours - it is a very long day, not ending until 9pm.  Not only this, many of the events are at the beginning of the week which I find ridiculous as it is such a tiring day and the children (and staff) are exhausted afterwards.  I strongly recommend going at the end of the week.  At the other end of the scale, I wouldn't take children older than primary school age, I don't think older children would be quite as inspired by the song choices.

All in all it is an exciting event that the children remember, it also helps to plan a whole terms worth of choir in advance!

Posted
    Think you would struggle to find a child who didn't enjoy it, get a lot out of it and generally have a fantastic experience that they will remember well into adult life. Yes, it's commercial, but it couldn't/wouldn't happen any other way. That doesn't make it bad
    Posted

How are you finding rehearsals, those of you who are taking part this year? Our concert is in January and my KS2 choir have 1 hour per week rehearsals, they are doing quite well but we'll have Christmas stuff to learn as well.

Is it better to give out CDs of songs when they've learned all the songs or now- they know the first 4 songs and know the pop medley songs anyway mostly. I'll need to iron out some dodgy bits though.

Does anyone else LOVE the songs??!

Posted
    I am in the process of handing out CDs even though they only really know 4 of the songs but I have to leave them to it now while I crack on with Christmas Music. We'll get back on it in January for 3 weeks but I expect they will know the music from their CDs by then. This is my 5th young voices concert (not consecutively) and the music is definitely the least inspiring I've worked on. I'm taking years 6-8 and I'm struggling to get my year 8 boys to sing 'Thumbelina' and 'Ugly Duckling' with any sort of enthusiasm! But it will be a great event and as previous people have posted, one that all the children (and parents) remember for a long time.
    Posted