Forums

TES Newly Qualified Teachers - Forum

Get together with hundreds of newly qualified teachers in the TES New Teachers Group. This is the place to share your experiences and advice from your peers. We’ve also got our NQT expert ready to answer your questions about any aspect of induction

Members 6850 Total Posts 24989

What is the required number of teaching hours per week, for teachers who aren't NQT?

Can anyone tell me how many hours a teacher who is NOT an NQT, should expect to be teaching per week? I'm trying to work out if my number of teaching hours is actually 50% less than what a normal teacher teaches, as NQT's if I'm correct, should be teaching a 90% reduced timetable? I think I may be teaching a lot less than 90% per cent, but need to know for definite before I confront my school about this! Mank thanks in anticipation!
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

As far as I'm aware, there's only a maximum. If they're employing you on a full teaching wage but only employing you for half of the time, enjoy the PPA - that's their bad management! 

Posted

A standard teacher gets 10% PPA time (10% of their timetabled lesson time).  An NQT gets the same PPA allocation and then has a further 10% deducted from the contact time that a non-NQT would teach.

An NQT should not be teaching a 90% reduced timetable!  That would leave just 10% of the timetable teaching.

Are you employed on a f/t contract?

Posted

It depends how many teaching hours are available in a full teaching week.

In my school (secondary) there are 50 teaching periods per fortnight (25 per week, but easier to work out PPA over a fortnight to avoid giving the odd half-hour here and there).

So, normal teachers: 50 lessons - 10% (5 hours) = 45 teaching periods per fortnight

NQTs: 50 lessons - 10% = 45 teaching periods. Then, 45 - 10% = 4.5 hours for NQT time.

Therefore: NQTs have 41.5 hours 'contact' time per fortnight which can be used for teaching, team-teaching, small group withdrawal work etc.

Neither PPA not NQT time can be used for covering absent teachers' lessons. PPA cannot be directed at all - the teacher is free to do their own marking/planning. NQT time may be directed if it is for useful induction-related training or activities (e.g. a mentor meeting, observing experienced teachers, attending a course etc).

Teachers employed on a part-time contract of any sort are still entitled to 10% PPA and 10% NQT time, although a part-time NQT will obviously take longer to complete induction depending on what percentage of a full time contract they work. E.g. an NQT teaching in a 0.5 teaching post would typically take 2 years to complete induction as they are teaching for half the time of a full time NQT.

Posted
    Yes I am employed on a full time contract. And I realise I have been a complete idiot and typed 90% reduced timetable when I in fact meant 10%!! I still don't know whether my circumstances would permit me to pass my induction in a year as I am basically a learning support assistant for all the hours when I am not teaching....I teach 14 hours per week and get 4 'frees', then the remainder of my timetable is taken up with supporting EAL pupils in random subjects! This by the way, was not mentioned in my interview...had I known I would be a learning support assistant for the number of hours that I am, I would not have taken the job. I have been a learning support assistant prior to my PGCE, and did not go through a year to train as a teacher to find myself reverting back to my prior role! Should I contact my union? I'm really not happy with the situation, but I feel in two minds about doing anything as at least I have a job! Help!!
    Posted

It's the f/t contract that you have that should decide whether you can complete Induction in a year. 

Are you being paid as  a f/t teacher? If so, you should meet requirements.

Bear in mind that even if you had more classes to teach, you might simply be using the same planning that you do now as many teachers get 2 or 3 classes per week per year group.

In my final Induction term seven years ago, I also taught for only 14 hours or so as I  was on supply, replacing a teacher who had taken up a promotion post. She had been a mentor for  PGCE student and I took over the role unofficially. 

Posted

Hi

As stated there is only a maximum for teaching hours rather than a minimum. The Local Authority has the last word on whether a post qualifies for induction. On the face of it yours should as it is for at least a term and involves fulfilling the duties of a teacher in full (not with all classes I agree) but if there were concerns then the LA should bring them up with the school. If you are worried you can contact the LA yourself and check that all is OK.

James

Posted