Forums

TES Opinion - Forum

Join hundreds of other teachers commenting on the latest news stories and generally letting off steam in the TES Opinion Group.

Members 13282 Total Posts 542952
  Please enter a number between 1 and 2 2 »

Strike action = selfish self-indulgence

I have just seen a 'tweet' from a moronus maximus claiming that striking is selfish and self-indulgent.

Discuss.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Another strike thread - there's a novelty ...

Posted
    Exactly my thoughts too. Selfish and deluded and sheep-like, actually. Listen to the PM's speech today. He is telling it as it is. Better believe it or reap the rewards in years to come.
    Posted

http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.com/2011/06/teaching-unions-give-lesson-in-blind.html

His Grace sums it all up rather well here, I think..."But let us consider what this strike is about: pensions. The NUT and ATL argue that their members’ pensions are sacrosanct. While the rest of the country adapts to the dire financial context, the teaching unions seek exemptions for their members. This is short-sighted and selfish. It is also antithetical to all virtuous notions of communitarianism and self-discipline: the dominant morality conveyed is materialism and the dominant ideology taught is critical of political conservatism and fiscal prudence".

Posted
    artboyusa
    Like it!
    Posted

Don't you see an irony behind your post?

These people are sheep... you should listen to someone else. 

Posted

artboyusa
    http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.com/2011/06/teaching-unions-give-lesson-in-blind.html

His Grace sums it all up rather well here, I think..."But let us consider what this strike is about: pensions. The NUT and ATL argue that their members’ pensions are sacrosanct. While the rest of the country adapts to the dire financial context, the teaching unions seek exemptions for their members. This is short-sighted and selfish. It is also antithetical to all virtuous notions of communitarianism and self-discipline: the dominant morality conveyed is materialism and the dominant ideology taught is critical of political conservatism and fiscal prudence".

ok - let's start with fred goodwin and all other bankers, brokers city traders, hedge fund managers and the like, and all other squillion-pound earners, and reduce their pensions/pension pots on a sliding scale inversly proportionate to said pensions' values, and when it gets down to me, i'll take my fair share of the cut

Posted

florapost
     ok - let's start with fred goodwin and all other bankers, brokers city traders, hedge fund managers and the like, and all other squillion-pound earners, and reduce their pensions/pension pots on a sliding scale inversly proportionate to said pensions' values, and when it gets down to me, i'll take my fair share of the cut

You don't have a pension pot. You are in a pension scheme.

Posted

Losing pay is not self-indulgence

Posted

MeanAverageJoe

florapost

You don't have a pension pot. You are in a pension scheme.

that's why i said pension/pension pot - either/or

Posted

harsh-but-fair
    Another strike thread - there's a novelty ...

I'm not after discussing the rights and wrongs of this strike or any strike. I'm interested in what my fellow tessers think about strikers being called selfish and self-indulgent.

Posted

intheken

I have just seen a 'tweet' from a moronus maximus claiming that striking is selfish and self-indulgent.

Discuss.

The claim assumes that striking can never be for reasons that are not self-indulgent and selfish. It could possibly be that some strikes are carried out for selfish reasons, but the circumstances would need to be defined-and why should everyone act selflessly all of the time?

If selfishness were proscribed by law what would the penalties be for rich bankers and the like who work only to profit themselves?

Posted

florapost

You are erroneously conflating the pension changes as a result of the continuing financial crisis. It isn't directly connected. You are not paying to bail out the country, but to make the system more equal.

Funny that no one was complaining about banks while they took out huge mortgages, changed house every 3 years and applied for more credit cards and credit agreements. It may be expedient to blame the bankers, but we we're all there enjoying the party.

Posted

florapost

Hear! Hear!

Very Angry

Posted

More from His Grace's article: http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.com/2011/06/teaching-unions-give-lesson-in-blind.html

"But one has to wonder why the ATL has chosen this issue as the reason to strike for the first time in their 127-year history.

"The number of school visits has declined significantly over the past decade, due largely to increased ‘health and safety’ bureaucracy and a shortage of funding and time to plan trips and activities. This impinges upon the learning experience of children. Why have teachers not taken strike action over this?

"Modular exams and limitless re-takes have seen a decline in academic standards, with teachers reduced to providing model answers for students to memorise and regurgitate. This has severely restricted the university and career options for millions of children. Why have teachers not taken strike action over this?

"Just seven per cent of the population attend private schools, yet they account for 75 per cent of judges, 70 per cent of finance directors, 50 per cent of top journalists and 33 per cent of MPs. Grammar schools were the greatest single engine of social mobility ever devised in our nation’s history. They were meritocratic, permitting the poorest students to compete with the privately-educated élite and attain the highest offices in the land. Why did their abolition not cause teachers to strike?

"...During New Labour’s years of ‘Education, education, education’, the perpetual boast was one of revolutionised provision and raised standards. Yet in 2010 the OECD established that British children have a poorer grasp of literacy and numeracy than most other children across the developed world. During Labour’s period in government, the UK plummeted from 8th to 22nd place in the international league table for Maths (behind Hungary, just above Slovenia), with British 15-year-olds falling ‘below average’ in comparison with their peers in other countries. We fell to 11th place in Science (beneath Estonia); and sunk to 20th place in Reading (way beneath Poland and Belgium). Why did teachers not taken strike action over this?"

Yeah, strike enthusiasts, tell us why not before and why now?

Posted

artboyusa
    Yeah, strike enthusiasts, tell us why not before and why now?

The items in the list had no effect on take-home pay.

Posted

QubeORoot
    It may be expedient to blame the bankers, but we we're all there enjoying the party.

Thumbs up

Posted

Of course a strike is selfish....its about inconveniencing others to get better conditions for yourself....selfishness is the whole point. Im not sure it is self indulgent though!

Posted

mountaingoats
    Of course a strike is selfish....its about inconveniencing others

A strike is about causing financial loss rather than inconvenience. e.g.The BA strike was not about inconveniencing passengers.

Posted

When teachers strike who loses money? The kids?

I have one thing and one thing only to say to the teachers that are striking:

"It's your own time you're wasting"

Posted