Forums

TES Opinion - Forum

Join hundreds of other teachers commenting on the latest news stories and generally letting off steam in the TES Opinion Group.

Members 13569 Total Posts 608273

Security questions

So I'm signing up for a Co-op card.

It's asking me to give some security questions. But it clearly states:

"When you manage your account on line or phone us with a query, we will ask you one of the following security questions; (for your own personal security please ensure you use different responses to those on other sites). If you do not complete these now you will be asked to provide them next time you access your account.  "

Questions are:

Place of birth

First school

Last school

Help - any suggestions as to a good school to go to and a good town to be born in as I can't use my real ones!!

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

robyn147
     Help - any suggestions as to a good school to go to and a good town to be born in as I can't use my real ones!!

Not sure why you can't use your real one! However,I don't think it matter what you put down as long as you remember what you put down and give the correct answer.

Posted
    robyn147
    Are you on a witness protection scheme?
    Posted

Are you on the run? I'm not sure Interpol routinely check the records for Co-op cards...

Royston Vasey

Grange Hill

Waterloo Road

????

Posted

I'm not sure how they expect me to put down different answers to those questions to those that I use elsewhere.

I've risked it and put down where I was actually born (not that I actually remember the place!!) Think the base has been shut down now,

Posted

BASILIUS
    I'm not sure Interpol routinely check the records for Co-op cards...

The British Government does seem to plan to monitor all of our electronic communication!

Posted

Lol.

I had a query about home insurance recently.  Before the person at the call centre would speak to me, I had to answer some security questions.  It went as follows:

How do you pay for the insurance?

Well, that's what I'm ringing you about.

Oh, in that case I have to ask you another question.  How old is your house?

I'm not sure, about 100 years old.

That's not good enough. I need the exact year.

Well, it was before I was born, and I don't know the exact year anyway...

You must know it.

I don't.

Then I can't discuss this with you.

After expressing my feelings and hanging up, Mr G rang another member of the call centre team and was not asked the same question.  An official complaint was also made. 

Posted
    robyn147

I'm not sure how they expect me to put down different answers to those questions to those that I use elsewhere.

I've risked it and put down where I was actually born (not that I actually remember the place!!) Think the base has been shut down now,

Sorry,I must be very stupid but I don't understand what the problem is. Why can't you put the real answers or why can't you use made up ones? I'm confused.

Posted

thegothmother
    I had a query about home insurance recently.  Before the person at the call centre would speak to me, I had to answer some security questions

They usually ask you questions that you have submitted answers to. Why did you not know how you pay for the insurance? As for the age of the house,I think it's something they ask you when applying for the insurance.

Posted

catmother
    robyn147

Sorry,I must be very stupid but I don't understand what the problem is. Why can't you put the real answers or why can't you use made up ones? I'm confused.

I have put down the real ones. However the website states:

"When you manage your account on line or phone us with a query, we will ask you one of the following security questions; (for your own personal security please ensure you use different responses to those on other sites). If you do not complete these now you will be asked to provide them next time you access your account.  "

I do not see how you can have a different response to the place of birth question or first school question. If they asked say  a memorable name, that's different. I'm not bothered but it's just an anomaly. Smile

Posted
    It's a right quandry isn't it. Can't use the same answers used on other sites ... hmmm .... How about School ? Yes Place of birth ? Hospital bed/birthing pool/bus stop etc. Date of house build ? 6th of April. Hope this helps Smile
    Posted

True! I am already a little paranoid as Tesco know far too much about me. The specific nature of the range of coupons they sent me through the post recently proved that they know me better than my own mother does:

cat food

cider, beer and perry (not quite sure what perry is but I might try it now I have 20 extra clubcard points if I buy it)

mini eggs

coffee

Sad but true...

Embarrassed

Posted

catmother

Why did you not know how you pay for the insurance?

I wouldn't  tell an Insurance company what I was paying to a rival too quickly either.

The figure they will quote you will be based on what your are currently paying but slightly less.  You are providing them with a starting point.  If they have no idea where to start you might get a lower quote.

If their first figure is much more then your current premium then you can spill the beans on what it is.  What normally happens then is the concultant will suddenly remember "a new and exclusive rate" just for customers of your; age, occupation, claims history, favourite colour etc.

Of course you could always lie in the first place, and if you are very good at it they might even offer you a job.

Posted

BASILIUS

cider, beer and perry (not quite sure what perry is but I might try it now I have 20 extra clubcard points if I buy it)

It's cider made from pears - can be sweeter but quite nice - try it!

Babycham was advertised as 'champagne perry'.

Posted
    Try, Baghdad, The Taliban College of Freedom and Broadmoor.
    Posted