Most ridiculous OFSTED inspector comments

TES Opinion - Forum

Join hundreds of other teachers commenting on the latest news stories and generally letting off steam in the TES Opinion Group.

Members 13499 Total Posts 590755
Please enter a number between 1 and 16 Page of 16 »

Most ridiculous OFSTED inspector comments

No word of a lie, I know someone who was doing the ofsted training and when discussing maths,  the person sitting next to them asked, "and what exactly do they mean by place value?"  How the hell do they vet these ***? So come on, what's the most ridiculous comment an ofsted numpty has said to you?
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

'Now, this Yr 8 class...'

'It's Yr 7.'

Posted
    No quote - I just have no time for them. I've seen the kind of person who goes in for it, and I am NOT IMPRESSED. One a useless ex-head of mine, another a colleague who used to be a head, then became a teacher again...but was very good at bullying and harassment, with a nasty superior curl of the lip. *shudder*
    Posted

Comment by lay inspector (a type of inspector which thankfully no longer exists) to me as head:  "Your ethnic minority students don't have much of a profile or in school."

Me:  "We've only actually got 5 out of the 1200 pupils on roll, but you'll know that from the documentation I submitted."

Posted

Credit to the inspector for this one though, back in the late '90s.. 

Primary year 4 History looking at the Roman hypocaust system and building models:

Inspector (due to watch D&T) goes to wrong room.

At the end of the lesson, says "That's the best D&T lesson I've seen this year."

"er...it was History, I think you perhaps wanted to watch the other year 4 down the corridor."

"Oh dear, sorry...nonetheless it was still the best D&T lesson I've seen, so it's going in the report but I'll say D&T embedded in History instead of D&T with a History theme."

And he did get it in the report.

Posted

A few years ago, receiving glowing feedback on a lesson which had not been observed by anyone. 

Posted

"Your 16-19 Bengali males only had a 25% success rate. That's a serious issue for me and will reflect on the overall grade for Learner Support."

"There were only 4. One is still having treatment for cancer - we are tutoring him at home when he feels up to it and he will hopefully recover and come back. One of the others died in a road crash. Another was sent to a Young Offenders institution and though we continued to support him with work set, the courts didn't deem sitting his A Level exams sufficient cause to adjourn his case. The other one did quite well. Perhaps you should look at the raw numbers rather than percentages and consider whether inferences from a sample of 4 are appropriate? Perhaps you might also like to comment on our commitment to supporting students in adverse circumstances instead of carping by exception?" (Followed by complaint to the lead inspector who pulled the offender into line.)

Posted
    "Your boys were underachieving last year, 0% leve 4. "

"there was only one (out of a cohort of 6) and he has a statement for pmld and the language ability of a 6 month old baby"

"So do you think boys achievement is an issue for your school?"

Posted

'You need to address the learning needs of non-white students'

'There was only one and he's working at an A grade'

'I'll have to raise your unwillingness to address minority students needs with the Head.'

Later on, a little chat about my apparent racism.

Posted
    There's instability in your management structure.

" I'm sorry?"

"Well you'll be going on maternity leave soon" I walked out.

Posted

Years ago, at a time when they gave full reports following an inspection; one of my colleagues, who was an inspirational teacher and Head of French, received a scathing criticism for using an out-dated method of teaching. 

Every one of his GCSE students had received As and A*s for the previous 3 or 4 years!

Posted
    I was once observed teaching a music lesson on pitch and I made a cross curricular link to the science topic (sound) the children were doing at the time. During my feedback the inspector stated "I'm not really sure what science has got to do with music." I swiftly produced the National Curruculum document to make my point but to no avail.
    Posted

Thank you all for giving me a good laugh Big Smile

They really are dreadful, they cannot teach so they go into inspections, swanning around in their stupidly expensive genitalia extensions...oh sorry I meant cars!  Just ridiculous!

Posted

I have made a point of always delivering the same A Level lesson on the same topic to the same age and stage at every inspection I've had since the mid-90s, just as a means of moderating Ofsted and for my own amusement. As someone who has undergone a lot of observation training I reckon I deliver it as a bog-standard "Good".

I know the session works because it has a high degree of student involvement and is invariably useable in the actual exam and they answer the question well. Because of the circumstances (my position in the institution, the no. of teachers and subject) I have always been able to identify the grade:

Grades Ofsted have awarded are as follows, in chronological order:

1 x Satisfactory 

1 x Outstanding

1 x Unsatisfactory

1 x Good

My contempt for Ofsted is boundless, and as for taking anything they say seriously.......

Posted

Although he wasn't a Ofsted Inspector, I was observed by an Academy's Finance Manager last year.  Having never probably been in a classroom since he was a child himself, it soon became clear he had no idea of what he was supposed to be looking for in watching me or the students.  I gave him the lesson plan and as he left, I said: "why don't you get the Principal to send in the Cleaner to observe me next week!".  After all, she was about the only one who hadn't been in  by this time.

It was at this stage I realised I had to get out of teaching in an Academy.

Posted
    Dorset

Although he wasn't a Ofsted Inspector, I was observed by an Academy's Finance Manager last year.  Having never probably been in a classroom since he was a child himself, it soon became clear he had no idea of what he was supposed to be looking for in watching me or the students.  I gave him the lesson plan and as he left, I said: "why don't you get the Principal to send in the Cleaner to observe me next week!".  After all, she was about the only one who hadn't been in  by this time.

It was at this stage I realised I had to get out of teaching in an Academy.

Oh Dorset, silly you, don't you know anyone can observe a lesson and make an accurate judgement on it. *** how insulting- I presume, because it's an academy, the unions don't hold much sway? Couldn't you have just refused to teach?
    Posted
    Andy_91

I have made a point of always delivering the same A Level lesson on the same topic to the same age and stage at every inspection I've had since the mid-90s, just as a means of moderating Ofsted and for my own amusement. As someone who has undergone a lot of observation training I reckon I deliver it as a bog-standard "Good".

I know the session works because it has a high degree of student involvement and is invariably useable in the actual exam and they answer the question well. Because of the circumstances (my position in the institution, the no. of teachers and subject) I have always been able to identify the grade:

Grades Ofsted have awarded are as follows, in chronological order:

1 x Satisfactory 

1 x Outstanding

1 x Unsatisfactory

1 x Good

My contempt for Ofsted is boundless, and as for taking anything they say seriously.......

Thanks for all the funny stories. 

Andy_91, I do exactly the same thing as you do and I get a different Ofsted grade each time.  But my students always achieve exam grades higher than expectation/targets (statistical expectation/targets, that is) so I am not changing anything for anyone. Not ever. I will carry on doing my best in my own sweet way because it works ...

Posted

I was once told by an inspector that in order for my Yr10 Music class to know what a bassoon sounded like I should show them a picture!!

Posted

Also not Ofsted but a 'learning walk' - my HoD was observed by someone who isn't a teacher and was told to use text books. It doesn't quite work like that in English. 

Posted

erp77

I was once told by an inspector that in order for my Yr10 Music class to know what a bassoon sounded like I should show them a picture!!

I just guffawed at this!

Posted