Stella Creasy MP wipes the floor with Toby Young on Newsnight

TES Opinion - Forum

Join hundreds of other teachers commenting on the latest news stories and generally letting off steam in the TES Opinion Group.

Members 13524 Total Posts 598580
Please enter a number between 1 and 3 Page of 3 »

Stella Creasy MP wipes the floor with Toby Young on Newsnight

Stella Creasy and Toby Young were on newsnight tonight discussing the vile harassment and threats of violence and rape. She wiped the floor with him. 

Toby Young was basically arguing that including the word 'harassment' in Twitter's terms and conditions were censorship.  As Stella Creasy reminded him, this is the law and if she had been told by someone in the street that they were going to rape her she would dial 999.  Whereas on Twitter nothing is done.

She Then said that Toby obviously thought it was fine to tweet about female MP's ***.  The interviewer asked Toby whether he had done this.  He said and I quote 

" I committed the sin of noticing a female MP's cleavage and tweeting about it"

is this someone who should be setting up a free school, I think not!

well done Stella 

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

Toby Young is certainly a *** but I think that people should be entitled to tweet about an MP's cleavage (male or female) if they so wish.

Posted

Possibly, but Stella was making a point to Toby who was saying she should block the offending tweeter and move on.

Posted

ferrisbueller
    She wiped the floor with him. 

Didn't she just: Stella 1 Toby 0

Well done!

Posted

Works for me on Opinion.  If people start hurling abuse then I just ignore them and move onto to someone with more interesting views.

Posted

She was considered and collected.  He became a little flustered I thought, particularly when he admitted his t*t tweet hadn't been his "proudest moment".

Posted

So are people arguing that people should be banned from tweeting about MPs' cleavages?

Posted

cuteinpuce
    So are people arguing that people should be banned from tweeting about MPs' cleavages?

It's crass behaviour at best, and for someone who sets himself up as a pillar of the community - what with his free school et al - he ought to be above such comment.  Fool!

Posted

An MP has ***..snigger snigger. I can see them...

Like a bloody schoolboy. Should he be banned from such stuff? No.

I'm not sure if that's what she was saying either.

Posted

No - she wasn't suggesting that at all.  She was concerned about harassment and threats of violence or sexual violence.  I don't think he'd prepared himself that well - he probably thought his charisma would shine through (ha ha).

Posted

robyn147

An MP has ***..snigger snigger. I can see them...

Like a bloody schoolboy. Should he be banned from such stuff? No.

I'm not sure if that's what she was saying either.

In that case, why did she persistently raise the issue of what Toby Young had tweeted?  The whole discussion was about stopping harrassing tweets being made.  Unless, of course, she was focusing on attacking his character rather than his argument.

The discussion can be found on i-Player for those interested.

Posted

For Toby Young any exposure will do. Literally. Despite being a prize pr at he's all over the media.

Come to think of it, it's not 'despite' rather than 'because'.

Toby Young Warns Of Writer-Less Hamptons

Posted

Young's comment in the Telegraph this morning... "Now, that wasn't my finest hour and Creasy is within her rights to try and shame me about it in public. (It was rather shaming and a useful reminder that you shouldn't say anything on Twitter that you're not prepared to say in front of your mum.)"

blogs.telegraph.co.uk/.../twitter-abuse-stella-creasy-has-over-stepped-the-mark

What an idiot!

Posted

nomad
    What an idiot!

Which parts of his argument did you disagree with, nomad?

Posted

Creasy was trying to undermine his argument by portraying him as an adolescent idi ot. His very public observations about a woman's physique do not portray him in a good light. Not quite germane to her argument but our current political class is not known for the quality of debate.

He does have a point in the Telegraph article about succumbing to pressure and that following due process when changing policy rather than doing it on the hoof is a better way of going about things.

However it's probably a case of pots and kettles as I can well imagine him picking up the 'phone and trying to bully someone into an instant decision.

Toby is a typical contemporary, ruthless chancer. He really should be in government.

Posted

You jest GDW, but it's only a matter of time, I see a 'special adviser' post opening up for dear Toby very shortly.

Posted

He may start as a SpAd but I can see him doing a Boris. He won't be content with SpAd status.

Posted

cuteinpuce

Toby Young is certainly a *** but I think that people should be entitled to tweet about an MP's cleavage (male or female) if they so wish.

It's a little bit more nuanced than this sort of blanket school boy 'she has t1ts' approach though isn't it.

A tweet can be in general or directed at someone. So I can tweet 'Model X has lovely t1ts' or I can tweet directly at Model X 'You have lovely t1ts'.

Now if I was just say out loud in the real world the first, then that's OK. Men do it all the time and I suspect that women do it too although they seem reluctant to admit it [except on a friday night in a town centre].

But to walk up to a woman in the street and say 'you have lovely t1ts'. Is that acceptable to you? If you were out strolling with your daughter/wife/mother/granddaughter and Toby Young came up saying 'you have lovely t1ts' would you really go 'Mr Young I admire your freedom of expression'. Or would you tell the old perv to f*** off?

EDIT: By the way, I don't really understand twitter so if I've got their set up wrong, then my example might not work too well.

EDIT 2: And of course we then have degrees of scale

'You have lovely t1ts'

'You have lovely t1ts and I'm going to photograph them' [freedom of action]

'You have lovely t1ts, I'm going to feel them'

'I'm going to rape you' [god typing that was horrible].

Where do we draw the line?

Posted

But it does all boil down to one thing.....

How would you view your father, brother, son, husband if he said/posted anything like that?

I'm not sure how to voice this, it doesn't sound right, like me, however I try it, but regardless of the legal situation, what would life be like if such utterances were freely made and accepted?

From my perspective I don't find it hard to deal with on the odd occasion I come face to face with it. I like my cloud cuckoo land naivety, where it doesn't happen. And when it does I make a terse comment and then consign the speaker to perpetual non existance, no right of reply, no possible mercy.

But, those who suggest ignoring it, dealing with it, so what, etc, think about what would we lose if this behaviour were to become overt and widespread?

Posted

I think that this is one side effect of the more permissive society we have become. When I was young, the idea of saying that to someone else was shocking and repulsive. Now people claim it is a 'right' to say it. Really it's just good manners not to.

I have said 'nice hair' to female colleagues. I've said 'that's a nice outfit' etc. But I'd never say 'nice t1ts you got their Miss'. But we now life in a society where it is deemed acceptable by some to treat others that way. Bit sad really.

Posted