Forums

TES Pay and conditions - Forum

For discussion on teacher pay and conditions join the TES Pay and Conditions group. You’ll find chat and advice on pay scales, TLRs, threshold pay, Golden Hellos, pensions, retirement and much more.

Members 4085 Total Posts 20868

How many hours should a 0.6 part time teacher work?

I am asking this for a friend of mine who is having no joy getting a definitive answer from her superiors at work. She works every day so it's not just 3 days a week. I'm convinced she'd doing well above her 0.6 as she finishes at 2:30 every day. She doesn't attend staff meetings. If you are part time do lunch hours count towards your hours? And breaks? Thanks in advance :)
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Lunch breaks don't count towards anybody's hours. Break times do.

Unfortunately there is as yet no national agreement on how part-time pay should be calculated - although the STRB have recommended that one is found!

As I see it, if your friend teaches at Secondary school then she should have approximately 60% of the directed time of a full-time colleague. So, if for example a full-timer in a 25-period timetable teaches 22 periods, and has 3 PPA, then your friend should have no more than 15 directed periods - perhaps 13 teaching hours & 2 PPA or similar.
    Posted
    I would have thought if she's in Primary school and they finish at 3.30 she is getting 5 hours off over the week, which is a bit less than a day, which is 0.8, isn't it? A day is 6.5 hours, as lunch doesn't count, so even then 5 hours off isn't quite enough. What does her contract say? Does she get PPA time at some point before the 2.30 finish, or is she teaching all the time? If she is, then she's almost full time once PPA is factored in. Sounds odd to me.
    Posted
    She doesn't get PPA and covers breakfast club every few weeks starting even earlier. I'm convinced she'd been taken advantage of but she doesn't want to cause any trouble. It's a primary school and all of her time (apart from breaks) is spent teaching.
    Posted
    I can't imagine that 0.6 would cover her up to 2.30. I suppose it depends on what time school ends.
    Also, she may be getting paid separately for the Breakfast Club.
    Unfortunately, only she can do anything about it.
    Posted
    School ends at 3:15!
    I know, I know she has to find out herself. She doesn't get paid for the breakfast club. I'll try and convince her to sort it all out!
    Thanks for your help :)
    Posted
    There really should be something in writing about this. I'm still trying to get answer over working 22 out of 25 lessons a week with 2 'Frees' and only 0.7.

If anyone knows a fool proof way so we could all go to H/T it would really reduce the extra stress!

Any offers...btw union being a bit slow too!
    Posted
    I would propose that you refer to the suggested method of calculation proposed by RIG, which will probably be implemented into STPCD for Autumn 2008. Referred to as method B in its evidence to the STRB as given here:
    http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=10225

METHOD B
    A part-time teacher’s weekly session time (in hours) is calculated. This is then divided by a full-time teacher’s weekly session hours (usually 27.5 hours) to give the FTE equivalent proportion. The part –time teacher’s salary is the FTE proportion multiplied by the full-time teacher’s salary. Consequent on this, the teacher is expected to also work the equivalent proportion of a FT teacher’s total directed time (usually 32.5 hours).

Posted
    I work 0.6.

My timetable is calculated as follows:

teaching hours = 5 days @ 5 lessons (1 hr each) = 25 hours; 0.6 of 25 hours = 15 lessons

tutor time etc = 5 days @ 30 mins = 2 hrs 30 min; o.6 of 2 h 30 = 90 mins: I do 1 extra lesson (60 mins) + 1 registration (15 mins) + 1 extra break duty (15 mins) to make up the time I am not with a tutor group.
    Posted