subject coordinator / leader

TES Pay and conditions - Forum

For discussion on teacher pay and conditions join the TES Pay and Conditions group. You’ll find chat and advice on pay scales, TLRs, threshold pay, Golden Hellos, pensions, retirement and much more.

Members 4098 Total Posts 20932

subject coordinator / leader

hello, I work in a smallish primary where there are more subjects than teachers to coordinate them. First question is do I have to take on a coordinator role (actually been asked to do 2 already - a core and another) ? and also what is the difference between a coordinator and a leader? we have been told that there is no difference but one of the other teachers said with a leader role you are responsible for the subject where as with a coordinator you aren't - is that right ? Heavy staff meeting night !!! thanks FC
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

'Coordinator' and 'Leader' can mean what ever you want them to mean. It is the job description that tells you whether you're "responsible" or "accountable" for anything.

Posted
    We haven't been given new job descriptions yet - just converted to an academy. Can I refuse to be a subject coordinator if I am going to be accountable ? I am happy to be responsible but don't want to be accountable for others teaching etc.
    Posted

You can refuse if that's not what you already are.  If you are responsible for what goes in other people's classrooms, you should get a TLR to reflect that, i.e. a pay rise. 

As tafkam says, words like "leader" and "co-ordinator" are whatever you want them to be.  We have directors and managers as well, and I haven't a clue what the difference is.   

Instead of classrooms, we've had bases, centres, units, halls and areas.  They're classrooms as far as I'm concerned.

Posted
    I am a bit confused !!! I am employed as a class teacher, so if I have said I would be a literacy coordinator but then find out I will be responsible or accountable for what happens when Mrs B's class don't all get level 5s in writing can I then say I don't want to do it ? I want to be a good class teacher I don't want to be a manager or a leader, I also want a work life balance !!!!!
    Posted
    Are you at my school firecracker? we had a very similar staff meeting !! In a primary with full class responsibility when do I have time to develop, lead, a subject area ? I am worried that when OFSTED come knocking I won't have done enough.
    Posted

In both schools you need to have it in writing  from HT  ,whether you take the  ultimate responsiblity,when OFSTED  appears or is the HT  responsible  ?

If you are working at the Academy Primary School,have the HT and SMT  have been given pay rises for extra work,,while the rest of the staff,have been given extra work for no more pay?

We also assume you  will be  no longer giving your free time and good will  to the school. and if you are  in the NASUWT and NUT that you will be folowing their instructions.

Posted

Whether or not you will be paid for taking on these roles will depend upon the school's pay policy.

As others have said it is what is in your job description that counts. If you are to be held accountable for a subject then you should be compensated for that. If your role is simply to lead or co-ordinate a subject without accountability, then this comes under that which may be expected of all teachers and you should not expect to be paid extra.

As all teachers do, you have a contractual responsibility to work what ever additional hours are required to carry out your professional responsiblities under STPCD. Such times may not be directed by your employer. Failure to do so may put you at risk of being in breach of contract and depending how robust your employer wishes to be, you may find yourself in a disciplinary process. It will be intersting to see any test cases, if they happen.

Posted