Pay for subject leaders

TES Pay and conditions - Forum

For discussion on teacher pay and conditions join the TES Pay and Conditions group. You’ll find chat and advice on pay scales, TLRs, threshold pay, Golden Hellos, pensions, retirement and much more.

Members 3986 Total Posts 20438

Pay for subject leaders

Last year I was appointed as subject leader after finishing my NQT year. This year because we have more NQTs than usual I have also been given a second subject to manage. Feeling rather overloaded with this and have no idea what I'm doing but my main query is whether I should be getting paid any more for all the additional work And responsibility or is this what is expected of lower main scale teachers? Is it right that only core subject leaders get paid for it and are given additional release time for their subject? Thanks
    Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    Subject co-ordinatior of foundation subjects are rarely paid for their efforts. It's normally not optional and people are told its "good CPD". Part way through my NQT year I have been put on a subject leader team (of 2) leading 2 subjects, conveniently the 2 subjects I feel least confident teaching and have the least interest and experience in. Winner.
    Posted

modgepodge
    Subject co-ordinatior of foundation subjects are rarely paid for their efforts. It's normally not optional and people are told its "good CPD". Part way through my NQT year I have been put on a subject leader team (of 2) leading 2 subjects, conveniently the 2 subjects I feel least confident teaching and have the least interest and experience in. Winner.

Actually it's probably more than you would think. The only information I ever saw on this was an NASUWT survey done a couple of years after TLRs were introduced and it indicated just under half of primary subject coordinators were getting a TLR. The STPCD is relatively clear on the matter - if you are responsible or accountable for a subject you should be paid a TLR. Under the NUT/NASUWT action you should withdraw any voluntary activity, which is what unpaid subject leadership is ...... Or to correct modgepodge , it is most definitely optional..

There is no distinction in the STPCD concerning core and foundation subjects, although your school may have put that into their Staffing Structure.

Posted
    I myself am playing the long game on this issue. I shall wait two more years while recording carefully everything I do as a HoD.
    Posted

Look carefully at what you are being paid.  It's not nearly enough for the work you do.  It is total foolish to take on these responsibilities with these silly pay allowances.  Now if you were given the time it might be another story !

Ahren

Posted
    If your workload and responsibility meet the requirements for a TLR, then you should be paid one.  Why should you do anything for free on the vague promise that it looks good in the future?
    Posted