Cat People - how many food pouches a day?

TES Personal - Forum

Join hundreds of teachers getting together and chatting about the stuff that matters to them in the TES Personal Group.

Members 10257 Total Posts 676390

Cat People - how many food pouches a day?

To anyone who feeds their cat pouches of food, how many do you give them a day? Mine gets one in the morning and one at night but I just read the packet and it says they recommend FOUR a day! That seems like a huge amount to me! Am I starving my cat??

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

It will depend on your cat I suppose, what its appetite is like, if it eats any other snacks (cat biscuits etc) or if it likes to go out and catch things?

I'm pretty sure my boyfriend's sister only feeds her cat two pouches a day. But i'm sure you gives it little snacks of other stuff throughout the day.

Does it pester you for food?

Also, I can't help but feel that suggesting that you feed it four pouches a day is more to do with you running out quicker and buying more. I am very scepticle about most things though!

*I am not a cat owner- or pet owner, so this is just my take on it.

Posted

my cat is enormous and he gets two a day. we also leave out some dry food for him to nibble at (good for the teeth) but he probably doesn't need it. another cat i know gets one pack a day.

if your cat goes outdoors chances are they catch their own food from time to time as well. 2 a day sounds fine to me. they normally let you know if they're unhappy!

also- make sure your cat is drinking enough. wet food has the advantage of giving them some liquid. my cat is prone to urinary infections (v common in male cats apparently) so i put a wee bit of water in his wet food to make sure he's drinking enough as he never uses the water bowl.

ask the vet if you're worried though or if your cat looks very thin as it could be a symtom of something else.

Posted

I gave up on using pouches because we got through so many in a day (but we have 5 cats).  If I remember there is 100g of food in a pouch?  A tin is 400g... so I give my cats half a tin of cat food each per day at tea time, plus they have 24 hour access to dry food.  Dry food is much better for their teeth and gums, so all cats should be having some in their regular diet.  Some breeds of cat shouldn't be having wet food at all - at least that's what the vet said about my Persian.  I don't deny him though.  He would probably (try to) chew my leg off if I did!

Posted

He doesn't have any dry food because it tends to give him cystitis or make him sick. In fact, there are only two types of food he can eat which don't make him sick. I'm not sure if it's a certain ingredient that he's allergic to or something but it's quite annoying as the only ones he can have are the expensive ones.

He does get treats throughout the day and always gets some meat from our tea (my OH even gives him fillet steak!). It says on the food box that cats don't tend to overeat and only eat until they're satisfied but I honestly don't think that applies to my cat! He used to get 3 or 4 meals a day but he started getting tubby so we reduced it. He still used to scrounge from us all the time though and he even attempts to swipe food out of your hands!!

Posted

Our middle-aged cat also can't eat dried food (terrible, terrible consequences if he does - for both him and the vet...). He is not a big cat, and gets through three pouches a day - four if he can get away with it by convincing several members of the family that he has not yet been fed.

Posted

My moggy has one pouch a day, sometime in the evening, but always has a supply of biscuits as well - 4 seems terribly excessive!

Posted

My 2 happily get through 6-8 pouches a day when I am at home!!! Normally I give them 1 before school OH gives them 1 at lunchtime and I give them 1 when I get in and 1 at bedtime, they always have dry food there and water too

Posted

I give my 2 kittens (12 weeks) one pouch to share in the morning and one in the evening. They really enjoy the wet food and I think it's good for them to have something meaty. They have biscuits out all day and nibble on these. As they get bigger I'll start giving them one pouch each in the morning and evening, but 4 each a day seems a lot to me!

Posted

Mine gets about 3 or 4 per 24 hours,plus whatever her "auntie" (the neighbour) gives her when she goes to visit.  She's quite old and was very unwell last year and she had lost lots of weight.She's started eating well again and I would rather she ate when she wanted.

Posted

Mine tends to have between 2 and 4 pouches a day depending on his mood. If he's being fussy and only eats a little bit I won't waste a pouch, so he gets one in the morning and 1 when I get home from work and only more if he eats it all.  He also has biscuits through the day and the odd treat too.

He used to eat 1 pouch a day until he went on a little adventure and got lost for 3 weeks! Since he came back his appetite has grown a fair bit but he's still a fussy bugger!

Posted

Mine can't have biscuits due to medical reasons, and eats between two and four pouches a day.  He loves tuna and chicken for a treat

Posted

Our cat is a pretty big cat - he was 7.7kg when we got him from RSPCA!  Despite his obvious big frame, vets told us he needed to diet and he is now varies between 6.6 - 7.  We give him 2 sachets a day and biscuits (including some big dental ones  as he tends to swallow the little ones whole!). He occasionally gets a bit more if he asks nicely.

I've always thought 4 a day was stupid but now I'm now feeling  bad for only feeding him 2!

On the subject of sachets - has anyone noticed that it is cheaper to buy 12 individual sachets of whiskers cat food than to buy the 12 pack? Sneaky... 

Posted

I took Fierycat to the vet recently and got severely told off for feeding her too much.  The vet said that pouches are like the 'McDonald' of the catfood world and that the recommended amounts on the packet are excessive.  Apparently dry food is better but she would be very unhappy if that's all I gave her.

She now has a pouch in the morning and one in the evening with a handful of dried food.  She also only has two treats a day.

Have to say, I felt terrible - it's like being told you're a bad parent!

Devil 

Posted